PDA

View Full Version : DIY airstone

tropfish
09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
I use this method and it works realyl well.

get a peice of hosing and stuck a peice of gravel i nthe end, then poke holes in the tubing with a needle. Viola! instant airstone. It works really well and its simple. took me like 5 minutes tops to pock the holes.

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
yep, its a good idea! i used to make a string of it and have a bubble curtain

*Sarah*
09-12-2007, 12:44 AM
I wonder if it would work to drill a small hole in some lava rock and put some air tubing in it...the lava rock is so porous, the whole thing would probably bubble...hmmm, I think I'll have to try a new project.

Arkie
09-12-2007, 01:49 AM
id assume the lava rock might work, let us know if it does. it would look good i reckon, and thats a cool idea about a DIY air curtain thingy cocoa. im going to do that now, i got given like 3 metres of spare airline the other day!!! :c8:

AquaQueen
09-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Cool Ideas everyone...I just so happen to notice tonight during my water change that my air stone in my guppy tank is slowly starting to plug up and not throwing out as many bubbles as before...told hubby I seen them for like .97cents at wally world so I will pop in and grab those in the morning...I dont have all the extra tubing to try that out. One quick question tho...Do you think you will ever need to clip the hose and start fresh, Like we do with the air stones?

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 02:23 AM
id assume the lava rock might work, let us know if it does. it would look good i reckon, and thats a cool idea about a DIY air curtain thingy cocoa. im going to do that now, i got given like 3 metres of spare airline the other day!!! :c8:

lol, it was trops idea, but ive done it too

Arkie
09-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Success!!!! i now have a very nice bubble wall in my 3 ft tank, just took me ages to poke enough holes in that much tubing!! im very impressed and so are the fishys. thanks for such a great idea :thumb:

tropfish
09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Yup! :thumb:

I used it too, and i really like it, but to do a whole bubble curtain! that musta been fun hahaha.

Arkie
09-13-2007, 12:58 AM
it took ages, my tank is 3 ft long so that was alot of holes to poke!!!! had enough time to watch the entire south park movie lol. it was worth it though :11:

*Sarah*
09-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Success!!!! i now have a very nice bubble wall in my 3 ft tank, just took me ages to poke enough holes in that much tubing!! im very impressed and so are the fishys. thanks for such a great idea :thumb:
I bet that looks great! Haven't gotten to doing the lava rock one yet...I'm a procrastinator:1:

Dixie
11-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the great idea of poking holes in tubeing for bubbles.:thumb:

tropfish
11-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Well i took the two peices of lava rock out of the 5g so i could plant it. Then i read this thread again b/c i was looking thorugh the DIY section and i decided to try putting the tubing in lava rock. I used a gflat headed screwdriver and twisted it around until the hole was about 1 in deep, and the perfect diameter. I then hot glues the area around the tubing outrside so bubbles wouldnt come out. I put it in my 10g to test and it worked REALLY good, bubles came out all over the lava rock, but it was too strong of a current for the bettas so i put it in the 29g. I put the bubbling peice on the bottom and the second peice on top and it looks really good, it bubbles alot! I'll have pics soon!