PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly filter

scruffy
09-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I have a 42 gallon hex with wood trim on top and an Aquaclear power filter that is too small to really fit properly over the edge. I don't remember the the GPH. Basically, I have to balance the intake tube just so over the impeller or it doesn't work. Unfortunately, I put a piece of pantyhose on the intake tube and the fish will graze on it and knock it out of place.

Is there any kind of temporary putty or a power filter with a larger lip for the thicker rim? I don't want to do any drilling.

S

Dave66
09-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Blu-Tac by 3M will do the job. Just put it on the spacer where it contacts the outer glass. Won't leave residue.
More to the point, why not a proper sized filter?

Dave

jeffs99dime
09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
More to the point, why not a proper sized filter?

Dave

i was wondering the same thing

scruffy
09-12-2007, 02:17 AM
I got the 42 hex and the filter as a gift. They came from craig's list. It's actually an aquaclear 70 and a pretty nice filter for an aquarium with out a lot of extra trim. I'm thinking I should get a new filter, but am not sure which ones would fit over that trim!

The biowheel 100 from the other tank that seemed to sit on the rim better, but I'm kind of hoping to find something a little more customizable like that aquaclear that doesn't want to stay put!

Any suggestions?

Dave66
09-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Canister filter would be the easiest. The inflow and outflow would fit over most rims.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Canister filter would be the easiest. The inflow and outflow would fit over most rims.

Dave

ditto! my 30g hex had a tiny filter slot so i went with a RESUN canister for 220G.

scruffy
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I was able to get a little more out of the aquaclear by unwrapping the intake tube. I just a have a few really tiny babies in there right now and they keep to their own spot near the gravel.

I really am intrigued by the canister filter idea, now that I know you don't need a drilled tank. They might be too expensive for me now, but I like the fact that I could just put my existing media in there and not lose all my bacteria.
s

Dave66
09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
I was able to get a little more out of the aquaclear by unwrapping the intake tube. I just a have a few really tiny babies in there right now and they keep to their own spot near the gravel.

I really am intrigued by the canister filter idea, now that I know you don't need a drilled tank. They might be too expensive for me now, but I like the fact that I could just put my existing media in there and not lose all my bacteria.
s

Canister filters are worth the cost. They contain far more surface area than any HOB model, and are a good deal stronger, thus will last longer.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
and canister filters FORCE the water through the media, unlike a HOB where it just flows. canisters are far more efficient.

scruffy
09-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I looked around last night and noticed that the Magnum HOT pro might not be too far out of my economic range. Are they OK? Would 250 GPH be OK for a 42 hex with tropicals?