PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying fish in inherited Fish Pond

mikewilson
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I moved into a house a few weeks ago and the previous owner has left all of his fish in the pond. He was meant to be coming back for them but so far he hasnt shown up. Ive left the pump on as its a 10ft long by 6ft deep pond and I didnt want the fish to die and with not being left any fish food I have been giving them a bit of bread every few days.

Theres 10 that are about 5 inches long and 5 that are about 30 inches long and are all gold in colour apart from 1 of the big ones which is gold with a white head. The 5 big ones seem to stay together in a pack where the rest of the small ones just do what they want. They look like koi but I dont know for sure and cant get any good pictures of them to put on here.

The reason for this post is to find out if anyone knows what type of fish they might be and what food I need to get them to keep them alive until the previous house owner shows up.

mikewilson
07-02-2012, 12:00 PM
30 inches long .

I meant about 18 inches long. Not 30.

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
They are probably koi. But really, him leaving you no food for the fish and expecting you to pay the electricitiy to keep the pump running is a bit much, huh? There should be a point in which these fish are called yours I would think.

mikewilson
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
They are probably koi. But really, him leaving you no food for the fish and expecting you to pay the electricitiy to keep the pump running is a bit much, huh? There should be a point in which these fish are called yours I would think.

Looking at some images on google they look like kawarimono koi. Ive just put a padlock on the gate so no-one is taking them now without my say so. Am I ok to continue to give them bread or should I but proper fish food?

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I would get them some pond pellet food. They need the nutrition that's in fish food for them.

I just got thinking that if that guy left no food for them, they may have not been fed properly for a long time if he was out of food himself.

Sure would like to see a pic of that pond.

mikewilson
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I'll get some food then. Ive got a few pics on my phone so ill try and post them.

Tiari
07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Definitely, I would say they are probably yours now. Taking care of a pond isn't as hard as it first appears, but do some checking online on the care of one, and it will prove a happy endeavor.

Most pet stores this time of year have a small "pond" section where you can get sacks of summer and fall food for relatively cheap. Even Walmart I think has HUGE bags of this stuff.