PDA

View Full Version : dying rcs

simon2217
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
hi i had 2 rcs die almost immediately after a 10% water change but before that they were flying round the tank eating bloodworm climbing (the usual) did my water change and bam on there back twitching

i read somewhere they are sensitive to de-chlorinator ?

any help would be appreciated

thanx

Goes to 11!
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
More details required please:

Are you in fact using Dechlor? [Never heard of dechlor sensitivity wrt RCS btw]
Tank size? How long it has been cycled and H2O parameters?
WC schedule?
Other stock?

simon2217
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
hi i am using interpet tap safe
in a 25l fluval chi
with 1 baby bumblebee goby (and there was 2 rcs )
not sure about cycled tank because didnt know about cycling till they went in but theyve been in there a week and my tank has been running for two weeks was doing daily water changes for a week when they went in

didnt do one for a couple of days then did one today and they died

simon2217
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
got my water checked today no ammonia what so ever and small traces of nitrate and nitrite

wijnands
07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Nitrite will kill. Deaths this instant would make me highly suspicious of the water you used.

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I have dozens and dozens of RCS. I probably kill 20 a week myself with changing out filter media and water changes. I move a plant and they fall out of it, jump around on the floor until I can catch them or jump down my sink.

Never lost any due to dechlorinator but you will kill them if you don't use it.

crystalite
07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
If your worried about dechlorinator there are shrimp specific ones you can buy. I lost 12 shrimp in the same way your describing so I know how you feel with this. Someone on here suggested there may be copper or other heavy metals somewhere in the tank or in the tap water when I had this problem. It might be worth testing for that in case your throwing lethal stuff in from the tap water.

wijnands
07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
The quickness of death would fit with heavy metal poisoning. Typically you'd see them curl up, wither a bit and die within minutes.

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Sounded to me as the dechorinator is not working to remove chorine fast enough so I went into search mode and found this that may be interesting.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27987

What made me think of this is some junk Big Als sold, stating it removed chlorine and chlormaines, that was FALSELY STATED and it did not remove chloramines at all. Screwed up cycles in 4 fish tanks all at once.

wijnands
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Never thought of that one, could well be it. Good call!

simon2217
07-03-2012, 06:24 PM
they did die but it took like 8 hours they were wriggling there legs on their back then flicking alot it was awfull watching them do it for so long

i had already ordered more aswell (stupid me ) put them in my tank today two on there backs doing the same 1 i cant even find and one just sat there on a log not moving really strange

going to buy test kits because dont trust local pet shops testing