PDA

View Full Version : tiger barbs afraid of the lights?

genocidex
06-29-2012, 03:04 AM
when my aquarium lights are on all my tiger barbs swim to the bottom and refuse to eat, lately ive been feeding them after the aquarium lights go off and the house lights are on. but this is worrying me about them being stressed by the lights. nothing has changed with the lights and they used to be fine. maybe the light is getting old and causing bad spectrum they dont like? oh a change is, one of my tigers was in dire need of qting (got bullied) so i had to put the 5 new tbs in the main tank and move the bullied one into the qt. that the only thing that has changed in the tank, maybe the decor a bit.

Zander
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
They can sometimes be stressed in low numbers. Also if there is a lack of hiding places. How big is the tank and is it possible to add more?

ScottishFish
06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Are you going from darkness in the morning to full on aquarium light? If so then that's like you sleeping then someone shining a torch light in your face. Always better to have some room lights on for 10 mins before the aquarium one.

+1 to larger schooling number

Stlouisfish
06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
My fish freak out also when I turn on the light - my black skirt tetras generally stay in one corner of the tank or hide in a cave when the lights are on - once they are off they wander around as a group.

genocidex
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
i have about 11 now in my 29g tank, and no the lights go on around 9 am and off at 8 pm. the shades are open so ambient light get to them before the tank lights go on.