PDA

View Full Version : Tripling tank size, fish suggestions?

eDavid
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm back to the hobby after a couple decades, and quickly am close to going from the 40gallons bough a few months ago to a 125g, 6ft tank. I am currently packing community fish, cherry barbs, glofish tetras, a betta (my fav), couple ottos, 2 siamese algae eaters, and some neons, which could go to the new owner of my old tank.
I want a happy tank most of all. I'd love to hear any suggestions on some colorful fish, larger/centerpiece type fish (I would love that) Help me fill my space with some groovieness, but keep it a happy place :)

Also, I read a few notions that rainbow cichlids would be ok solo, is this true? I know angelfish would be unkind to my betta, shame, but I want to keep him so they are out.

Lay your wisdom on me :)

Lady Hobbs
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
You will have a problem if you plan to keep that Betta with any cichlids, I suspect.

If I had that tank, I would move my blood parrots into it and add a couple severums.

eDavid
06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Would those work with my other community fish?

pjaldave
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Severums cans be hit and miss sometimes. But I am pretty sure that blood parrots can be in a community setup.

I would recommend looking into rainbowfish if you want a peaceful community and also a colorful school.

I wouldn't add neons with bigger fish in the same tank. Also, I won't put a betta with general community. It might work now, but who knows when a betta will kill some fish in that tank.

What on that list of your current stock will remain onto the 125G?

ScottishFish
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
For a 125G tank you should have no less than 20 ottos in it in my opinion :22:

All your already mentioned species are kinda small so a smallish centrepiece fish would be needed. In a 125G you could easily do a breeding pair of kribensis, 1male GBR, 1 male Apistogramma agassizii, 1 male Apistogramma cacatuoide, 1 male bolivian ram.

All these dwarf cichlids are nice and small and hopefully shouldn't bother too many fish. I personally wouldn't keep a betta in a community set up, also so your neons don't feel stressed you should really have a nice shoal of 40+ of them :22:

eDavid
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Unless I have to give away my betta to a good home if it totally blocks all my options. I love the little guy though, he's my only fish with an individual personality, vs the schoolers

eDavid
06-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow thanks Scottish, I'll have to check into all those breeds, what is a GBR?

ScottishFish
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
GBR is a German Blue Ram :22:

eDavid
06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh German blue ram, got it.