PDA

View Full Version : Home made fish food

chrisfraser05
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Here is how I make my fish food for my reef tank.

The total cost to be is in the region of £10 for about 4 months worth of food.

I use sheets of sushi Nori from the supermarket, frozen seafood mix from the supermarket too and a little flake and pellets.

The seafood mix is Shrimp, Squid, Musscles, Oysters, White fish and other varieties of meaty fish.

I defrost the fish in a jug of tank water they blend it with the garlic till I get almost the right texture. I then rip up the sheets and blend a little more.
Add the flake and pellets last.

Also in the past I have put either liquid coral food or D&D reef paste into the salt water in the jug to add a little extra for the corals.

I aim to have chunks that will fit inside my turkey baster.

I use ice cube trays to refreeze the mix. I suck it up into the baster and make my cubes, any chunks that are too big get blended again till it all fits in the baster. The idea is to make the chunks small enough to be chased and eaten but big enough that its not liquidised.

I then refreeze it into cubes and once frozen I bag the cubes.

Daily I use one cube, defrosted in an egg cup of tank water. Just put in a squirt with the baster when walking by the tank.

Hope this is useful for someone,

Chris

Indian Woods Angels
06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I have a really hard time finding that sushi stuff with no sesame oil on it.

chrisfraser05
06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
really??? Where about are you?

I know alot of guys in the UK either get it from Ebay or chinese markets.

Thankfull my local supermarket do it :)

Cliff
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Iíve looked into this in the past, but never did actually do it. At the time, I only had one (or maybe two) tanks so the extra effort did not seem worth it to me. Now that Iím getting ready to set-up my forth tank, Iíll have many more mouths to feed. I think Iíll give you method a try

The only variation that Iím going to take is the type of seafood used. Out in the Canadian prairies we have a limited supply of fresh seafood.

Lady Hobbs
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I've made variations of homemade food with knox gelation. I used ground up fresh spinach in place of Nori.

Gogi
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Is this food good for freshwater and/or saltwater fish ?