PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR crudfest

slinky
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm wondering whether I've got some type of problem. I don't think I overfed a few guppies I have in a small tank but it's possible that over the weekend the autofeeder dumped too much food. It's an eheim, supposedly a great feeder, but they all seem to be nothing more than overpriced mechanisms that simply turn a container without any precision.

Now I look into the tank and the females are creating a long string, sometimes white and other times light brown or red, which seems to go onto eternity and repeat itself. The 2 females have stomachs that seem pretty large so I guess they are getting ready to give birth. The male seems to harrass the females like crazy just like a dog, pecking at the female's butt and string to the point where I saw him eat one of those droppings. And he won't stop harrassing her and pecking at her poop.

So I'm wondering if this is normal. The water puts out a beautiful yellow color for the Ammonia test but it looks like these fish are on Pepto and just dumping a TON of waste on a regular basis. Anyone experience this fascinating and flattering phenomenon?

MeganL3985
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
are you using the auto feeder on a regular basis or just when you go away?
I dont think I could trust one of those.

slinky
09-10-2007, 06:43 PM
are you using the auto feeder on a regular basis or just when you go away?
I dont think I could trust one of those.
These fish we have in the office. I use it only when we are away on weekends. The non-stop poopfest is absolutely mind-boggling. Ever see that string swallower who keeps pulling those endless numbers of colored connected handkerchiefs out of his mouth? Same effect.

octavian
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Never trust autofeeders. Search on Google and youll find lots of complaints about feeders like yours.

MeganL3985
09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I think i've heard that you can actually go weekends with out feeding fish?
Is it normal office hours, like your there fridays and then have saturday and sunday off? I would think you could get away with not feeding them saturday and sunday. I wouldn't want to risk over feeding them and killing them. Either that or invest in a few of those little weekend feeder disc's. They're not very expensive

Lady Hobbs
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
They can easily go one weekend without food and it's probably a good thing for them to fast now and then. Give them a small amount as you leave and let them go without the 2 days and give them a chance to clean out.

slinky
09-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, I didn't feed them too much and the guppies just don't stop. It is actually amazing to watch it keep going... and that the little male guppy is the personal "butt cleaner" for the females. It's hilarious actually.

Regarding autofeeders, you are correct about complaints but I would HIGH ADVOCATE AGAINST any of those little discs that dissolve in the water. They will create a cloudy mess that will require serious water changes. You don't want to do this. I've noticed that the autofeeder may dump too little food based upon what I set it up to do so that isn't altogether bad. That's what I'm aiming for - if it's a little less they'll live although they won't be thrilled with me. I don't like the thought of starving these guys 2 days every week even though "they'll live."

MeganL3985
09-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I have never had problems with the weekend feeder disc's....maybe it was the brand that caused the water problem. But Tetra makes ones that were fine in my tank. And if it doesnt cause a cloudy mess in my 5 gallon then I doubt it would bother a tank of larger water capacity.

2 days isn't starving them....but think of it this way....if you dont want to use weekend feeders....but you dont want to not feed them for 2 days. You've only got 2 other alternatives. Come into work on the weekend to feed the fish. Or keep using a faulty auto feeder....which if it keeps over feeding your fish, even if it is only 2 days, theres a possibility that it could kill them or make them sick.

slinky
09-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Not sure if the tetras are those little fish. I haven't used them and used two different kinds - one that is white and looks like a little treasure chest. The other one is a round circular disc and they come in 3 and 5 day packs and are made of gel. Neither is good and both annoy the fish.

Coming in to work unfortunately is not happening. Too far away. I think the only way to do it is have the feeder feed one turn at the risk of it not providing much food. That will have to do.

Regarding tomorrow morning, I cannot believe the water will still show no ammonia. After today, I can't imagine the water will still be transparent!

AquaQueen
09-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Well no one has stated this yet so I will, if these guppies have fry(babies) and you want them to survive, they need to be fed like four times a day otherwise they will end up as the food over the weekends.

slinky
09-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Well no one has stated this yet so I will, if these guppies have fry(babies) and you want them to survive, they need to be fed like four times a day otherwise they will end up as the food over the weekends.
Good point. I forgot about that aspect. I will have to leave them alone for 4 days. Fortunately I've got the autofeeder which I tested today. Will make sure to feed them well although they might have to get used to a little dirtier than usual water at the end, lol.