PDA

View Full Version : 55gal mbuna tank

Snowwolfjd
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I am planning on picking up some baby Mbunas this weekend and was looking for some advice on picking out some small guys. All of the LFS sell africans just as that "africans" all of the small fish are in the same tanks and no-one knows much about them. I have learned alot reading up on this site as well as others. But I just want to make sure I only pick out Mbunas not an assortment of Peacocks and Mbunas, Etc... I also know at this size you cannot really tell gender so any advice there would also be appricated.

Thanks
Jonathan

cocoa_pleco
09-10-2007, 04:41 PM
malawi has 2 rifts, and you dont want to mix them. i tried my auratus (Mbuna) with my peacocks and the auratus almost killed them all within 2 seconds in the tank. to be short, Mbuna are a pain. they fight and are alot of work. however, in a 55g, 8 peacocks would be nice

sergo
09-11-2007, 01:45 PM
well you need to put the least aggressive in first, ie labs and rusties for starters. i have a 55g mbuna and my guys and gals get along well. there is a little chasing and from time to time a short standoff over territory but no lip lock fights or really any nipped fins. they are relatively calm to my surprise although they are mostly still in the juvi stage but not all of them. check my profile for the occupants of my 55.

Snowwolfjd
09-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Also what are your opinions on using Tufa rock in a mbuna tank. the reason I ask is I had a bunch of pcs given to me and was thinking about either using those or getting some slate.

Cichlid_Man
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi,
I just want to throw in my opinion if that is OK?

Tuffa rock is great for helping PH stay where Cichlids like it, but I had a problem with it.

As that Mbuna mature they get aggressive. Mine cut themselves half to shreds on tuffa.

As for slate? It causes brown algae. Other than that, it's OK

Incredulous_Ed
09-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey cichlid man! you're back!

Cichlid_Man
09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey Ed,
I never left.
I have just been busy with stuff.
Good to hear from you