PDA

View Full Version : Is my newbie definitely a Texas?

Juannie
09-10-2007, 05:28 AM
This is the new addition to our family and he is absolutely stunning. They guy I received him from paid $80 and has no idea of what it is - I'm thinking a texas for sure - can anyone confirm? He's got the most beautiful colours and seems as happy as larry in his new home.

Fishguy2727
09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Doesn't really look like most texas I have seen.

Lady Hobbs
09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Actually the pic is so large it's hard to see it. Knock it down to half that size and it should show up well......and be a nice entry for the contests. :)
He is a pretty one. It would be nice to get a proper ID so you know what it is for sure in case of tankmates.

cocoa_pleco
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
looks like a jack dempsey variation. if you paid 80$ for him i think you got ripped. i had a JD variation that looked just like him that i paid 20$ for

tropfish
09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
That sounds like alot of money. But as long as you enjoy him its worth it. He's beautiful btw

Lady Hobbs
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Hard telling what the prices are in Australia tho. The prices in Canada aren't all that great.

Paying that much money and not knowing for sure what it is would not be something I'd do.

cocoa_pleco
09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Hard telling what the prices are in Australia tho. The prices in Canada aren't all that great.

Paying that much money and not knowing for sure what it is would not be something I'd do.

lol, i know! with my pair of white convicts, i got another so called "convict" for 15$. i got a good look at it after i bought it, its a freakin 5 dollar cheap peacock hybrid. those kid workers know nothing

Juannie
09-11-2007, 05:17 AM
Actually I got given him with a couple of tanks, but I don't know what he is. I shall try getting a smaller clearer pic tonight.

Dave66
09-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Looks like a young Aequidens coeruleopunctatus to me. If so, they sell for a good deal.

Juannie
09-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Well it's got me stumped I just found out another name for him and it could be Geophagus iporangensis but I'm still not sure. I found it in this link & the pic is pretty much the same as my little one http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=84598&sid=ed7929c97b372bd6d7e8351be1773c88, I wonder if this means he/she shouldn't be in with my oscar & jag - though they haven't had a go at him.

If anyone could help that would be great, I want to make sure i've got it in with the right fish!

Dave66
09-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Your's will have to grow some; the head isn't quite right for a Geophagus. If he shakes out to be the Aequidens I mentioned, he's well worth the $80 spent. They are quite uncommon in the hobby these days.

Dave

Juannie
09-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks for that, I've tried to find any info but there is hardly anything around. I did see a pic http://www.lem.net/alf/aeq.htm#coe on this site which he definitely resembles but others here that he doesn't.

If this is definitely him do I assume he's in the wrong tank with my oscar & jag - they haven't attacked him yet & everytime he pops out of his cave they check him out but that's been it so far, I really don't want to have him in the wrong tank.

Dave66
09-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Thanks for that, I've tried to find any info but there is hardly anything around. I did see a pic http://www.lem.net/alf/aeq.htm#coe on this site which he definitely resembles but others here that he doesn't.

If this is definitely him do I assume he's in the wrong tank with my oscar & jag - they haven't attacked him yet & everytime he pops out of his cave they check him out but that's been it so far, I really don't want to have him in the wrong tank.

Contacted some cichlid friends of mine on your behalf and they gave me: "little more than five inches, fairly aggressive, pH around neutral or slightly acid, just moderate hardness. Temp around 75."

They are also surprised one ended up in Oz and are lovely when they grow up.

Dave

Juannie
09-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Oh fantastic, thanks so much for that I've been totally stumped. It's just a pity I didn't have a mate for it. At least I have some idea now.

CHEERS!

Dave66
09-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Junnie,

Got this "Geophagus brasiliensis. A pearl cichlid or pearlscale eartheater."

Now you know. pH 7.3, gH 10, 26C, about six inches. So young the head fooled me. Fairly mellow fish, though, so he'll have to be moved.

Dave

Juannie
09-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks Dave66, it's a big help. Funnily enough it's been really happy in the tank with my oscar & jag, I"ll keep an eye on it and see how it goes otherwise I'll have to set up another tank and find some "companians' for it.

Thanks for doing the research, you've been a big help!