PDA

View Full Version : Java plantlets question

drzoidberg
06-22-2012, 02:10 AM
Could anyone share their methods of removing plantlets from their java-ferns? I have one in particular that is getting quite large and is actually sprouting a green leaf. Problem is, I do not want to harm the mother plant :help:

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2012, 02:26 AM
I cut the whole leaf off leaving the plantlet attached and either attach it to something or toss a bit of substrate over it.

madagascariensis
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM
make sure it has at least 2-3 1 inch leaves and a bunch of roots before you transplant.
Java ferns are slow growing anyways so you could just as well give it a good head start on the mother plant. The plantlets separate easily enough if you hold on to the parent leaf and pull the plantlet off at the rhizome.

es31710
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM
I carefully pull the little plantlets off. Sometimes I even take it out of the ground to see if there are any below it which there usually is.

drzoidberg
06-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys! I actually just noticed two more planltlets on a separate plant that are also sprouting. I guess I'll leave them be until they sprout a few more leaves and then transplant them. :22:

Any tips/tricks for attaching them to driftwood?

ScottishFish
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
just use lotsa black thread to hold them little guys on, and try and position it so the plants not in the current of your filter(s)

madagascariensis
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Or, depending on what type of wood you have, you could always look for natural cracks and holes, cram the plantlets in and hope the fish leave them alone. Or at least that is what I do...

A lot simpler than using thread, but also with a higher rate of dislodged plantlets floating in the tank.

Dandan
03-08-2013, 02:20 AM
What I do with the leaf without rhizome?