PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with my DIY Co2, need help!

zackish
09-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Ok I have my own DIY Co2 and on the cap I have a barb screwed into it and the silicone hosing to my tank fits right on the barb. For those of you that are unfamiliar with a barb it is just a simple plumbing fitting.
Anyways, I have siliconed this thing about 15 times. I have wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and I haven't, I've tried it all. I put big beads of silicone on it and around it and made a huge pile and I have done a nice bead along it inside and out. Nothing seems to hold, I wake up a week later and look and there is air or moisture bubbling out.
I have had it up to here >< with it and I was looking for some ideas.

Thanks,
Zac

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Did you ever find a solution?

I used a Loctite sealant (I really trust the name) that was made for use in the bathroom to seal sinks and tile. Maybe use a different sealant?? Just a suggestion.

zackish
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow I just remembered this post.
Anyways, in short yes I did.
I ended up loading up the cap AGAIN with sealent and as usual it held for a week. Finally after it started leaking again I just took my dads industrital strength apoxy and put it over the outside edges of the barb. Nothing is leaking now..the worst that will happen is an explosion.
The apoxy won't hurt the tank or anything either as it is on the outside of the cap.

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Silicone is not meant to stick to plastic for the long haul but so far (knock-knock) I've had no problem. Make sure when you change solution you turn only the bottle and not the line. Perhaps that is breaking your silicone away from the cap. Hope your new solution works for you.

zackish
10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Silicone is not meant to stick to plastic for the long haul but so far (knock-knock) I've had no problem. Make sure when you change solution you turn only the bottle and not the line. Perhaps that is breaking your silicone away from the cap. Hope your new solution works for you.
I think I tried everything in the book. Mainly I tried to disrupt the seal as least as possible.
Anyways, I am very confident that my new setup will work. This stuff is like a plastic seal over something...it's not going to break ahaha

Mark Lathrop
10-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow I just remembered this post.
Anyways, in short yes I did.
I ended up loading up the cap AGAIN with sealent and as usual it held for a week. Finally after it started leaking again I just took my dads industrital strength apoxy and put it over the outside edges of the barb. Nothing is leaking now..the worst that will happen is an explosion.
The apoxy won't hurt the tank or anything either as it is on the outside of the cap.

I kind of had the same issue for a little bit until I sealed mine on the outside of the cap as well as the inside. Yeah, let's see it try and bust through that!!

...watch, it'll be broken when I get home and there'll be junk everywhere. lol.

Algenco
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Silicone will not stick to plastic.
Drill the hole smaller than your airline, cut the airline at an angle, push it in the hole and grab it with pliers to pull it through. No leaks:c5:

gm72
10-03-2007, 12:59 AM
To make sure any tubing holds over a barb, just use a worm drive clamp.

Tjones
11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
To make sure any tubing holds over a barb, just use a worm drive clamp.
/agree i used one of those buggers to fix a leaky dishwasher drain hose and its been a champ and hasn't let a drop out

Incredulous_Ed
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
what eneded up doing is drilliang a hole in the cap and sticking the air tube through, and seling with rubber cement. took onths to fullt dry, but it is rock solid.

zackish
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
It's been fine for a while.