PDA

View Full Version : New Neon Tetras. One acting goofy. HELP!

MandyK
06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
SO I got a new group of neon tetras today, and *sighs* I didn't put them in QT. Anyway when I put them in they had lost most of their color (Thankfully it came back almost immediately).

I currently have one tetra bouncing around the surface like it can't breathe, or it can't go down. I don't know which. It let me touch it without running so something is def wrong.

Now, I'm wondering if putting it in QT alone will stress it further???

MandyK
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
No physical sign of sickness.

MandyK
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Well he went down, and stopped doing his funky dance as soon as I came to get him out. Now I can't tell which one he is. Maybe he was just messing around???

MandyK
06-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Nope I found him. I think I'm just going to put him out...

ScottishFish
06-19-2012, 10:47 PM
The journey from shop to tank can really do some crazy things to fish, sounds like he had new home nerves, out of interest how many did you get?

MandyK
06-19-2012, 11:32 PM
I went in to get 6, but came out with 7. (The pet store owed me one.)
That brought my number to 26.

Now that I think of it I saw the lady grab a neon with her hand to get it out of the net. When she got it out it was swimming around in a weird way, almost like she pinched off a fin. I wonder if she accidentally put that one in the bag...

Anyway, my number is now 25 which is what I wanted in the first place. I did put the sick one down. Not a fun experience. Does that count as my losing a fish if I brought it home that way?

I think they were probably stressed out because there weren't that many in the bag this time. I had 19 with my first batch. They all regained their color quickly as soon as they joined the school. I also got an Assassin Snail.

Strider199
06-19-2012, 11:56 PM
MandyK you did what I too would have done. It's tough to cull the school but a wounded or sick member needs to be taken out of the healthy school or it will just be picked on and get diseased which may spread to the rest of the school in some cases. I agree with your decision.:22:

MandyK
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you Strider. I had considered putting him in the QT, but I was afraid that being alone would only make things worse on him. I felt really bad. No matter how small a life is, it's still a life.