PDA

View Full Version : Missing Albino BN pleco

cobra_tank
06-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi all,
I found this forum while on the Internet searching for answers regarding the Albino BN plecos so I am new to the forum and have great concerns for my male Albino BN pleco.

He is the only one I have in 12 years. I always got females for some reason and the last batch I was lucky enough to get a male amongst a batch of 3.

I saw him about 2-3 days ago when I dropped in the algae wafer.

My tank is 125g, heavily planted with supplement CO2. Yesterday, I did a major plant re-org in one corner of the tank and turned the water pretty murky. I didn't realize I haven't seen him for 2-3 days until after the plant re-org.

I still haven't seen him today when I fed them another round of algae wafer. The two females came out and chomped on the wafer but the male is no where to be seen.

I am very concerned for his safety. Any advice? I suppose my water parameters are good since I have had the tank since 2001 and the CO2 was added about 4 months ago and the plants took off like crazy, hence the plant reorg yesterday.

Should I move things around to look for him? Could he be stuck and died somewhere? I just got these about 2-3 months ago so they are still pretty young, about 2" so I don't think they are breeding. The tank is heavily planted and I usually was able to find all of them by carefully scanning around the tank but this time, I can only find the females and not my favorite guy.

Thanks for any advice!

Cliff
06-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I've got a male tiger strip pleco that I only see about once a week if I'm lucky. He is a master at hiding when he wants to

As you just moved things around, your pleco could be feeling out of sorts for a little while. I would suggest to try feeding them once the tank lights are out and see if you can draw him out that way. Plecos can be more active after lights out.

Welcome to the forum

mermaidwannabe
06-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Same boat, here. I don't see my BN, either. Lots of hidey-holes in my 65, but not that many plants. I have no way of knowing if my BN is eating or not, because he doesn't come out when I feed the dojos Omega One Veggie Rounds wafers. I feed again at night and turn off the light, but still don't know if he comes out. Alive or dead? Who knows? My water parameters are fine, so maybe he's okay. Just don't want him to starve ....

Plecos tend to be hiders, some more so than others. There has been a recent disturbance in your tank with moving the plants around, so maybe yours just needs time to readjust.

Hope you find him, soon.

-- mermaidwannabe

cobra_tank
06-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is strange that he was usually visible and that plant re-arrangement was not the 1st one I did. I just hope he is ok and I will see him from time to time.

And thanks for the welcome!
cobra_tank