PDA

View Full Version : no more lights from china

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
holy crap i almost had a fire. the clamp-on light i had on the 5.5g was running for only about 12 hours, and i smelt something burning. it was like 200F and the plastic cover of the compact fl. bulb was literally melting! its made in china and all the writings in chinese so i dunno whats with it. thank god it was only 10 bucks. it was extremely close to starting a fire. i now have got a fluorescent fixture for the salt tank

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
heres the new setup. fluorescent light on top, aquaclear on the back left (LOVE it there, i can skip the powerhead because of the flow), a submersible 50W heater on the back left, and thats it. also, for anyone who's wondered, heres my 30g hex peacock tank. i put switched its fluorescent light for the 5.5g salt and put hte incandescent light from the 5.5g on their tank. the incandescent looks nice on the hex because it gives it a deep river look with the tannins and lighting. lol, and in the peacock pic, that blur is a peacock darting, not a eel.

EDIT- also, the LR formation changed because it fell when i moved the aquaclear.

and if any members want help on starting a micro reef or nanoreef feel free to PM me. and as for that clip-on light, its going in the garbage, its STILL frying hot even though its been unplugged for a hour

2manyfish
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
That's horrible about that light!! That could have been so dangerous!! Glad you found it in time!!! :thumb:
Everything from China is crap!! :c11:

Your tanks look very nice Cocoa!! :19:

cocoa_pleco
09-10-2007, 01:21 AM
thanks! it cycled extremely quickly (that micro-lift bacteria is AMAZING), so tomorrow im gonna go get a small fish and a small hard coral, then a few weeks after add the shrimp and more corals.

i honestly dont know what to trust from china, you cant trust some food, and some equipment. the bad thing is almost EVERYTHING is made in china!