PDA

View Full Version : Wild sand dollar?

Fishkeeper
06-15-2012, 08:48 PM
We're in Port Aransas, at the beach, and having an AWESOME time! During our latest little beach excursion, my brother came over to me, saying he'd found a cool shell. He'd been in water about 2' deep, and it wasn't a shell. It was a live sand dollar, about 2" wide. It's olive green on top, with a pattern a bit like a turtle shell, and the underside is a beautiful maroon. I was wondering if I could keep this in my aquarium. I know it would stay under the sand a lot, but I think it would be useful. As far as I know, they are algae and detritus eaters, and can't climb. Any imput? It's currently in a small tank, with a sponge filter and a couple of cool little snails.

Aeonflame
06-15-2012, 08:57 PM
From what I know, they require an established sand bed, and as filter feeders a sustainable source of food. Not recommended by many marine tank keepers.

Fishkeeper
06-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I didn't know they were filter feeders. Good to know! I'll put him back later. My brother also says he found little finger-sized holes in about 2 feet of water, in the surf zone, and little two-inch fish lived in them. Wormfish, I think. I'm going to try and catch one when we go back in a few hours.