PDA

View Full Version : how many corys?

tr3wth
09-09-2007, 09:17 AM
what would be the most you could or rather should keep in a 20 gallon tank. I just received a 20 gallon< and Monday I'm going to try to find/get some silica sand for it.
filter aqua~tech 40 (came with tank)
weekly pwc 25%
tank mates: open to suggestions but i dont want too many perhaps a couple of dwarf rainbows?

Dave66
09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Depends on the max size of the corie. If you can find pandas, you could have up to a dozen in a 20. Big, chuncky Sterbei, four to six.

Dave

SkarloeysMom
09-09-2007, 02:51 PM
How many corys would depend on how many other tankmates you're thinking of putting in with them. Also, I'd put less corys in a 20g long tank than a 20g tall because there's less bottom area in a tall tank.

IMO, pandas are less hardy than some of the other species and usually more expensive. The more common varieties like the ones they carry at petsmart grow bigger and seem more hardy. You could probably have a shoal of 5 in a 20g with the filtration you have along with another shoal of small community fish. Dave mentioned in another thread that corys need to have a shoal of fish other fish to feel secure.

As far as other tank mates its really up to you as long as they are compatible with cory. If the corys are the most important fish in your tank I'd say go with some peaceful community fish. A shoal of neons tetras, rasboras, or the like.

gm72
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
As another point, 25% weekly water changes really isn't enough for most stocking levels. I would recommend you increase that number to about 40%.

zackish
09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Depends on the max size of the corie. If you can find pandas, you could have up to a dozen in a 20. Big, chuncky Sterbei, four to six.

Dave

I like pandas a lot, however, they are the most expensive >< like $5-$6 a piece.

tr3wth
09-10-2007, 08:17 AM
could i keep cichlids with 6 corys
only 1 or 2 from walmart the ones i like look like these two what kind are they at walmart it just says regular african cichlids there are several other color variations as well as these two. thanks for all the help
http://cdserver2.ru.ac.za/cd/011120_1/Aqua/Ichthyology/Ichthyology/Tony_4_fish_reproduction.jpg

Dave66
09-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I suppose you could, but myself and other fishkeepers try to stay away from mixing contenants. Synodontis cats would be appropriate to keep with those Cichlids.

Dave

Dave66
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I like pandas a lot, however, they are the most expensive >< like $5-$6 a piece.

Actually, that's not a bad price for them. Anyway, you'd get a lot of mileage from those 6 dollar cories; they routinely live more than 10 years properly cared for. Some can reach 15.

Dave

TowBoater
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I would not mix african cichlids with anything but synodontis cats or plecos. How old to albino corys normally live?

cocoa_pleco
09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
i tried cory's with my peacocks and suddenly it was a cory-less tank. youre better with syndontis cats.

kuli, albinos, when properly cared for, live 5-6 years

Lady Hobbs
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Corys should be in community tanks. I don't think they'll last long when they start to attack a pile of cichlids eggs or come in it's territory.

TowBoater
09-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Dang it man, you mean to tell me my albinos only live 5-6 years? That draws heavily through a straw.

Dave66
09-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Dang it man, you mean to tell me my albinos only live 5-6 years? That draws heavily through a straw.

If they are albino bronze cories (C. aeneus) you'll get 8 or 10 out of them.

Dave

kid_fishboy13
09-23-2007, 08:45 PM
i try to avoid albino anythings. i just dont have any luck with them

slinky
09-27-2007, 01:50 AM
I have no idea where you are buying your fish. I live in the most expensive part of the US and they cost $4 for Panda Cories in one of the most expensive areas of the city. My Julii, which I liked a little better than the Pandas even though those are cute :) cost $4 each as well, Albinos cost $2 per. You get a 12% or so discount getting two of them.

I'm happy with the 3 I have in a tall 10 gallon and that's fine. If you're getting a tank full of cories you should think about the fact that all of them will be on the bottom foraging for food although they do go up the sides on occasions. You can put more fish in there if you mix mid and top dwellers, e.g. mollies, platys, tetras if you like them, etc.