PDA

View Full Version : Hydras in the tank...

Cactus_Tree
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi!
I have a cute little blue crayfish, and today I noticed the aquarium is full of tiny weird wide creatures... After good long online research, I found out they are hydras... The one thing I couldn't find an answer to is whether they are dangerous to the crayfish? And what can be done to get rid of them? Help...
Thank you! :fish:

LaurenAllyson
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
How little is your cray?

Apparently hydra can catch fry and small adult fish. I doubt your crayfish will have a problem .. But just in case , the link below provides a few ideas on how to get rid of them. Hope this helps you out.
Apparently hydra is a pest.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolving/p/How-To-Combat-The-Aquarium-Pest-Hydra.htm

Cactus_Tree
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks! :22:
Those Hydras look like Hattifatteners from the Moomins! haha
I wonder how they got to my aquarium...
I hope you're right, and it's not a problem, because I don't think I can get rid of all of them efficiently. But I'll give the tank a good clean this weekend!

LaurenAllyson
06-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Did you buy a live plant for your tank? Or driftwood , some sort of new decoration they could have came on?

Hopefully someone more experienced with this chimes in but I do believe that they can reproduce quickly from what I have been reading..

If someone more experienced doesn't answer you maybe try posting a new thread in the general aquarium or beginner part of the forum hopefully someone will be along shortly though, and goodluck getting those suckers out!

-Alex-
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I had them years ago once...

Personally i think they are pretty cool... I had fry in my tank in with them no problem.

Fish will usually eat them and they tend to dissapear after a while if the tank is extra clean.

Nothing to be worried about... thumbs2:

Cactus_Tree
06-13-2012, 07:05 AM
I got a plant a few months ago, but I also got rid of it about two months ago (cray chopped it all off)... And those hydras appeared only two days ago! (I think they're really cool too!).
I also noticed I have some white moving things on the tank walls and filter, they look like dust or something, but I'm guessing they're some kind of a worm? Any ideas?

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Planaria. Most likely from overfeeding. If you have gravel in your fish tank, vac it daily to get rid of any rotting food. Unless that's the Hydra as well?

I would get rid of any plant that had Hydras so it isn't taking over the tank. Perhaps a mild bleach dip may kill it but if allowed to over run the tank, you will have a problem.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolving/p/How-To-Combat-The-Aquarium-Pest-Hydra.htm