PDA

View Full Version : How much/how often to feed?

Danifins
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi all, as some may know I recently got a baby female ABN.

After a week or so of trying to get her to eat veggies, I gave up for a couple of days and then tried zucchini on Sunday. Well, she apparently loves it because from when she figured out that it was there, she stayed on it for hours, just munching away.

Now my question is... How often should I be feeding veggies? Is this a daily thing? Or every couple days? Or once a week? I'm not entirely sure what she was/is eating without the veggies but she sure seems to be popping a lot so I imagine she's finding something.

Do these guys actually EAT that driftwood? Or just suck stuff off of it? Cause if they actually eat it, that would explain it because She spends about 95% of her time on the wood.

Anyway thanks in advance :)

Aeonflame
06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I toss in an algae wafer or vegetable slice every other day. Foraging keeps them full in between. There are some species that are able to digest wood, but all my plecos seem to spend most of their time on the driftwood as well.

mermaidwannabe
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I never see my new BN during the day -- he hides out. I do feed Veggie Rounds regularly and some other sinking pellets for the bottom feeders, but never know if he eats any of them. I assume he comes out at night, after I'm sleeping? I think I know where he's hiding, and I use a tongs to drop an algae pellet into the hole where he may be hanging out, but never see any movement. Dojos also go in and out of that large opening.

I don't even know at this juncture if my BN is still alive . . . Everyone else in the tank is acting normally, so it's hard to tell.

-- mermaid

Indian Woods Angels
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
You can take a couple of well boiled peas and smash them a bit so they don't float and or pop them out of the shell and stick them on the glass, they go nuts for that as well. They like a leaf of romaine lettuce or spinach too.

mermaidwannabe
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
So maybe a shelled pea will draw my BN out during the day? I thought they eat only algae. How does one know their pleco is eating if one never sees it? Do the BNs forage only at night?

Danifins
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I think most BNs are supposed to be pretty shy for the first few weeks. I just have a weird one probably, which judging by how strange my cats are, is par for the course for me xD