PDA

View Full Version : Guppy food

Pearl Trade
09-09-2007, 04:03 AM
What is a good and easily cultured live food(worms, infusoria,etc.)for guppys without having to buy some sort of starter culture

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 04:21 AM
guppy's are livebearers, which are herbivorous, meaning they should only get meat once a week. for that one day freeze dried bloodworm is fine

Dave66
09-09-2007, 05:36 AM
What is a good and easily cultured live food(worms, infusoria,etc.)for guppys without having to buy some sort of starter culture

Red worms, the little guys you use for catching pan fish, are available at any bait shop for very little. Easy to culture. PM me and I'll give you instructions. You'll have to cut them to feed to your guppys. Couple feedings a month and you'll have some vivacious guppys and lots of healthy fry.
I culture all kinds of organisms. Several are simple to do so and would be appropriate for your guppys.

Dave

Fishguy2727
09-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Why do you need the live foods for them?

uwintoday
10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Red worms, the little guys you use for catching pan fish, are available at any bait shop for very little. Easy to culture. PM me and I'll give you instructions. You'll have to cut them to feed to your guppys. Couple feedings a month and you'll have some vivacious guppys and lots of healthy fry.
I culture all kinds of organisms. Several are simple to do so and would be appropriate for your guppys.

Dave

I would be interested in cultureing live foods for my guppys, chilids, gold fish
and turtles

Blue Guppy
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi! I am starting to develop show guppies and need expert advice from you guys. Besides NLS, what particular live food is need to produce show quality guppies? Is there are feeding cycle that I should follow?

Right now I have a batch of 1 month old guppy frys (about 30) and have disposed off their parents to a pet shop. I am currently concentrating in developing the blue/black color in them. I am currently feeding them adult brine shrimp in the morning and NLS after work. If I don't have ABS, I feed them microworms in the morning.

Thanks.

Blue Guppy
12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
My target is to get as close as my avatar picture shown.

Dave66
12-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Part of a guppies natural diet is insects. That favorite of genetists; Dropsilia sp. fruit flies with the wingless mutation, are easy to culture. Your guppies would love them, and I'd suggest dusting the flies with a powder containing Asthaxin (NatureRose is a brand) just prior to feeding.
Also, live Daphnia pulex is a guppy (as they are to all small fish) favorite, but they are more difficult (and somewhat expensive) to culture. You could buy frozen Daphnia to save the trouble of culturing those little crustaceans. Feed your guppies Daphnia thrice a week. You could feed them the flies nearly every day.

Dave

Blue Guppy
12-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the advice. Now with the Drosophilas, I guess I do need to buy a starter kit to get it going then and get that dusting powder that you recommended. Apart from feeding the brood thrice a week with Daphnia, how much for the flies?

Thanks again Dave for the help. Hope this helps.

thumbs2:

Dave66
12-05-2007, 02:25 AM
I get mine from lfscultures.com. They come with instructions and the whole bit. At least 90 percent of my cultures come from there. The only trick is to keep the flies below 77 degrees (75 is best) or the flies' children will have wings, and your culture would be ruined. Other than that, you'll need several fruit fly traps around your culture vessel to keep their winged bretheren from invading. Once you get it going, fruit flies are very, very easy to culture.
You could give them small meals of flies four or five times a week. With the asthaxin, your guppies will really color up. Guppies do love the bugs, and they give them nutrition prepared foods don't.

Dave

Blue Guppy
12-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the tips. Will try this out and see what they can do for my guppies. Hopefully, I can get the color I want and shoot some pictures to share to all.

:thumb:

Blue Guppy
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Dave,

You mentioned Asthaxin. I was wondering where can I get those? I've tried ebay and amazon but yielded nothing. Thanks in advance