PDA

View Full Version : Growing My Pleco... Help?

gobluewolverines4
06-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Well hey guys, im kind of new to the forum, and new to plecos. Well anyways, i have two tanks setup. One, a rectangular 10 gallon holding tank, and a 55 gallon long tank. In the 10 gallon, i have anywhere from 1-15 goldfish, usually in decreasing number until a petstore trip happens, and one small (2") pleco. in my other tank, i have an 8" bass, and about 7 apple/mystery snails and some ramshorn snails. well anyways i have the pleco in the 10 gallon until he gets big enough for the 55 gallon and the bass wont mess him. well anyway, hes been alive for the past week, but i cannot tell if he is eating. I saw him once eating a algae wafer, but i havent seen him eat anything since. he might be eating when im not watching, but i feed the goldfish the algae wafers and hope that he will eat the leftovers. i am going to the supermarket tomorrow and buying some zuchini, but i dont know how to present it to the tank, like how to keep it down there, and how to prepare it before, and how long to keep it down there. do i need to buy a clip/suction cup thing? and for my final question, how long will it be till he doubles in size? thanks!

ScottishFish
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
A 10G tank with 15 goldfish and a pleco? I find that hard to believe. If this is the case then your ammonia levels will be sky high from all the waste golds produce. I am surprised your pleco is not infact dead. I would advise you to stop buying goldfish and rehome any that you currently have.

Feeding the pleco - cut a thick slice of zuccinni, stick a fork through it, put it in the tank.

Some plecos max out at 3 and others 2 feet, so until we know the specific species I cannot advise you on growth rate. However due to the fact you've kept him with goldfish you have more than likely stunted his growth and reduced his lifespan.

:22:

Goes to 11!
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Scotty, Those are feeder GF. :22:

I am not sure about your plecs growth rate.

As mentioned: It really does depend on what type of plec he is and his diet/environment, Is he a common, Rubber, Bristlenosed.. etc?

ScottishFish
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
My bad :22: was lacking in coffe this morning :hmm3grin2orange:

gobluewolverines4
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Geez Scott! Going after me! D: hahaa
Well I believe he is just a common pleco. Definitely not bristlenose
And his diet has only consisted of algae wafers and anything else he may have found

Brhino
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
cut a slice of zucchini and stick a fork through it or tie it to a rock or something to weigh it down. Some people nuke it for a a minute to soften it up but in my experience you don't need to.

I understand the 10g is for feeders so I'm not going to complain about how many goldfish you're putting in it, but at the same time all those goldfish coming and going probably don't make for a great environment for the pleco. Have you considered buying one at a larger size? They're usually pretty easy to come by that way because so many people are looking to get rid of them after they've outgrown the small tanks they've been put in.