PDA

View Full Version : red jewel

daimen123
06-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Ok I have a mate who has a standard 3ft. He wants a red jewel and what I can find says not to mix it with new world cichlids. But to mix with mbuna
does that include lab caerelus. Cause he likes them. Me personally would just want an mbuna tank but each to there own

DeadSulphurhead
06-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Going off of my friends experience;
He keeps a m/f pair in a 60g, and says that is dicey during spawning.
He tried other africans, Mbunas and haps, neither held up to the red jewel, and I took a few of his haps.
So I'm going to say from this, I wouldn't mix your stock in a tank that size...
Hopefully some one with personal experience will stop in.

daimen123
06-10-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking the same thing I just need to convince him to just get two species of mbuna.

escamosa
06-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Honestly, a 3' tank, isn't really big enough for Mbuna at all. To safely keep the Mbuna, you really need 1 male to 3 female of each species that you choose. Some Mbuna need a 1 male to 4 - 6 females. Not to mention, they need room to move - especially if they all get a bit cranky - which will happen at some point, and will happen if they decide to start spawning.

He'd be better off going for a few of the South American Cichlids, like some of the Apistogramma species. :ssmile:

daimen123
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Update on my mate. He decided it would be better to use the tank for a quarantine tank for his saltwater thanks for all your help guys

escamosa
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
That's one big QT! :hmm3grin2orange: