PDA

View Full Version : about boy guppys???

Arkie
09-08-2007, 11:30 PM
im not sure if this is a really dumb question but im going to ask it anyway (it will bug me forever more if i dont!!!), can young male guppys turn in to girls if there are none around? i got given like 10 guppys last night but theyre all boys. i know that some species of fish can and was hoping guppys did, to save me from buying a whole heap of girls- doesnt really bother me, i love my fish shopping :ezpi_wink1:

Dave66
09-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Not to my experience, but I've had swordtail (Xiphophorus) females turn into males, but not the other way around. Never heard of a guppy boy turning into a girl, and I doubt its possible.

Dave

Arkie
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
thanx dave, i guess ill be heading to the pet store on monday to get some girlfriends for the bacholars before they turn queer lol. with 9 males, how many females do you suggest i should get?

Dave66
09-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Two to one females to male. Less, and the males will hassle the females to death trying to mate. Might want to trade in a male or two unless you can house 18 females.

Dave

Arkie
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
lol, what are kids for??? im going to palm half of them of to my 5 yr old!!!! she is at the tank as we speak picking which ones she wants for her tank. :hmm3grin2orange: