PDA

View Full Version : GoWilds first saltwater build

GoWild
06-08-2012, 05:01 AM
I Figured I'd start a journal since I like to talk fish seem to spend alot of my spare time on this forum.
I've been in this sw hobby for about a month. I started with a extra 55 gal set up for freshwater that I didn't want to sell. Not having alot of extra money or knowledge. I set it up with the bare minimum. Established live rock, canister filter, powerhead, heater and lights...
My tank was cycled, I added a small amount of live stock, not liking the detris like film building up on the surface, I started looking for overflows, sumps, pumps, MORE LIVE ROCK, etc. Long story short, everything like that is expensive but I found a guy that was moving and had more than his fair share of saltwater tanks and equipment and for a lil more than I was planning to spend on overflows, sumps, pumps, and more live rock, He gave me a deal on a 72 gallon drilled bow front, live sand, 70ish lbs of LR, pumps, sump, two powerheads, and more for $350. Talk about a great deal.

The only thing I am working on now is to make my sump config. and plumping better. I have a 20L that I want to make into a refugium. I couldn't figure out how to get the glass for the baffles for my sump, so I just bought a 10g tank from walmart for $12 that I will strip down and cut the glass to the size I want, 100% silicone that GE makes, gloves, a glass cutter, and I have extra sand paper to smooth the edges.

I'm still doing research to how to configure my sump so the process is on hold. Also, I can't take the sump out of my stand without moving my tank:/ whomp, whomp....

GoWild
06-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Also, I'm trying to figure out what my saltwater personality is, thanks to mrsaltwatertv.com Whether I am a tank dabbler or a reef enthusiast. I never really knew where I wanted to take my tank. Hence Why I only have 3 small PJ cardinals and sailfin blenny.

When purchasing my first fish, I adopted a red chocolate chip star fish, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails for free. But thats all that is going on in my tank. Pretty boring lol

I wanted to maybe get into corals, but then some of the cooler looking fish aren't reef safe, or get to big for my tank.

Tigerbarb
06-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Canister filters aren't recommended. If possible, use a protein skimmer.

Crispy
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I am no saltwater expert, but a 10g sump won't barely hide much equipment much less give you room for a fuge. I would go for a 30g+ tank to use as your sump. still cheap enough and much more customizeable the bigger you go.

Crispy
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I recently started a 55g reef tank with established LR. I'm just using a nice koralia powerhead and a large skimmer (coralife 220). seems to be working well so far as my corals and critters are growing nicely. it is definitely a slow process, but better to be safe than sorry. especially with a reef tank. :11: I plan on adding a 30g+ sump soon to the setup.

GoWild
06-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I am no saltwater expert, but a 10g sump won't barely hide much equipment much less give you room for a fuge. I would go for a 30g+ tank to use as your sump. still cheap enough and much more customizeable the bigger you go.

I'm not using a 10 gallon for the sump itself. I am using it for the glass. I'm going to strip it down and cut the glass for the baffles for the 20L sump. I can fit a 29 gallon tank in there or I thought about custom building a narrow but wide sump (cause its a bow front.) of 10dx43lx20h but thats about the same volume as the 29.

The only problem I have is, in order to take out my sump and put in a new sump I have to tank my tank off the stand and go through the top.
or I can just drain my current 20L and put the baffles in while its still under my tank. Not ideal but doable.

How do you like your coralife skimmer? any cons?

Tigerbarb
06-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I run a coralife skimmer like crispy, but a smaller model. It works great. The only con is that they're very touchy, have a break-in period and require a bit of tweaking to get it just right.

GoWild
06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I also just picked up 20 more lbs of live rock today that I am curing in my quarantine tank now. I'm going to put the good looking pieces in my tank, take some of the not so good looking pieces from my tank and what ever is left over and put it in the drain area of my sump.

Since we are talking skimmers do you guys know anything about the cone skimmer, coralife 150 or Reef octopus skimmers. I was looking at a recirculating one or the reef octopus 6

GoWild
06-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Here are two pics of my tank and sump. I slowly but surely got rid of my wet/dry trickle filter, so I can redo my sump the way I want with a refugium and live rock. The lights aren't on in the tank. The big white rock on the left is semi-concave underneath so water can flow behind it and its also very porus..

Once my rock gets done curing and I get my refugium set up I'll re- set up the rock in my display tank. Nothing really exciting in the tank. My turbo snails are pretty active and it's cool to see them get onto my powerheads. My red chocolate chip star fish is pretty active too crawling all over. My three pajama cardinals are all pretty boring as they don't do much. My sailfin blenny is not near as shy as he has been but he doesn't do much but watch out from behind a rock, more often now he swims around the tank and eats at the rock . My scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp hangs out upside down underneath one of the concave rocks I have in the middle except when I feed them.

GoWild
06-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Like the title says... I figured Id put a pic up of what it looked like before.

GoWild
06-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Curing this live rock and receiving such significant nitrate readings makes me want to set up my quararntine tank and give it a test run. Ive never quarantined anything, so itd be nice to see how fast my tank becomes ready for livestock. Ill prob do that this weekend too.

Cliff
06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I would not suggest using live rock in a QT set-up. If you end up getting a sick fish and having to treat it with meds, you really can't put that rock in your set-up, or any set-up with corals or inverts again. The reason being is that the rock will soak up meds like a spong and then slowly leach it out into the water supply over a long period of time.

The below info might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/quarantining-new-additions/

GoWild
06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I moved my rock out of the 5 gallon QT into a plastic lined Styrofoam container with the HOB on the edge of it. I was just curious on how long it would take to put new occupants in the QT tank. We were thinking about getting a more lively fish next, not sure when. Looking at the white tail bristle tooth tang http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130 any thoughts on this guy?

GoWild
06-12-2012, 12:43 AM
I stopped by the pet store last week, as I do every Wednesday, to see there new inventory. My wife gets the overall say in what fish actually go in the tank per our agreement to let me start the sw to begin with LOL

I saw the Auriga Butterflyfish, thought it was pretty cool looking in person. I went home and researched it, told my wife about it and off to petco we go so the wifey can look at there new inventory.

They always have cool looking fish that I can't put into my tank do to size or aggression like the dragon wrasse,bird wrasse, marble wrasse or just recently they had two juvenile koran angels etc.

well the butterfly fish was sold by the time I got back so we didn't get anything(this was last week). Today I go in to get some more nasseras snails and what do I see?? The butterfly fish was brought back because it was being picked on.

Skeptical to buy it for many reasons, I got it anyways and got a lil deal on it too.

I set up my quarantine tank, drip acclimated him for about 3+ hours to cause less stress and he seems to be doing fine so far. I like having two tanks next to each other. Makes my entry way look cooler and I can observe both tanks at the same time.

Cliff
06-12-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm glad to see you are using a QT tank. You will never regret it.

It almost looks like he has a little fin damage, but that will heal in time

GoWild
06-12-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm glad to see you are using a QT tank. You will never regret it.

It almost looks like he has a little fin damage, but that will heal in time
I'm glad I am too. My sailfin blenny should have been QT to figure out what he'll eat, etc.. He's just starting not to be shy and is eating the food I put in there.
Here's two picks that look close to the same. I don't think I see any fin damage. He is munching on a pellet so that is what's in his mouth. Any ideas of what I can put in there for him to hide in?
I was thinking of a plastic plant or a rock I'm not using in my freshwater tank. Any other ideas?

Cliff
06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I though I saw fine damage on the first pics. Those new clearly show a good looking fish without any fin damage.

Have you finialized what you would like to keep in the tank yet ?

GoWild
06-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Not completely, For a tang we are thinking about the white tail bristle tooth http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130

I'm not sure about angel fish because they say they are semi aggressive but if itd be ok then we like the lemon peel angel. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+450&pcatid=450

We, like everyone would like to get a mandarin in the future. But not till I can get my tank established.

since I've had the tank my nitrates have been at 20ppm consistently. I've been doing weekly/week and a half water changes.20-25% I do have some chaeto but it hasn't really grown since in the month I've had it. I just put half of it in my display in hopes it will grow.

I just picked up 4 more nassurus snails to help with cleaning up any un eaten food. now, I have 6 nassurus snails, two turbo snails, 2 blue legged crabs. Not sure if my skunk cleaner shrimp and the starfish count LOL

My next thing I am looking for is some more macro algae to see if that can help lower them.

Do you think I should put a snail in the QT tank?

Any recommendations on community fish? Anyone :help:

GoWild
06-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Other than the 3 fish listed, We are not really sure but we like unique fish so maybe some other smaller colorful fish. Probably couldnt put in another bigger fish.

GoWild
06-12-2012, 05:22 AM
I moved my LR that I am curing from the Styrofoam container today to my 10 gallon tank for a few reasons. 1. I wanted to add a powerhead to it and 2. When I went downstairs there was some sitting water on the tote I had the container with the rock sitting on. How it got there? IDK.

I tested my nitrates before I moved the LR to the 10GL and it was still really high 80+ ppm. I've done several water changes already. 8 hrs later after being in the 10GL with the power head the nitrates are 5-10ppm. I tested it twice cause I didn't believe it. But I did do 100% water change so will see how high it goes in the next day or two. Plus I have a hard time reading the tests sometimes LOL

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
umm... were you planning on corals at some point? I hope not with that Butterfly.

Did you get a skimmer yet? IMO, there is no comparison between the Coralife and the Reef Octopus, it's kind of like comparing a half dead Dodge to a new BMW. lol The Reef Octopus is by far the superior skimmer.

hockeyhead019
06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Make sure your test kit isn't expired also... inconsistent readings can be troublesome but that is a possible cause.

Great looking butterfly! But ILMGB is right, that'll probably chow on any corals you put in the tank

GoWild
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I kinda wanted to do so soft corals but after talking it over with the wife we are gonna stay Fowler as originally planned. The test kits dont expire for 5 yrs. I decided to wait on the skimmer and try to maximize my refuge with dsb/macro. Also fit as much lr in my drain area and trying not to have to small of a space in me return to worry about evapor ation that much. its my first sump build if it doesnt work or im not seeing the results ie nitrates lowering, then ill redo it or maybe one day ill drain my tank and put the 29 gal sump in there

Cliff
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
You would most likely still need a skimmer based on the amount of macro algae you could grow using only a 20 gallon as a sump.

You also have to keep in mind the skimmer will help you maintain a very high level of oxygen in the water which will help you maintain your PH and alkalinity as well as helping to keep both those parameters stable which is always a good thing in either a FOWLR or reef tank..

I would suggest to keep watching ebay and crag's list for a good deal on a good brand of skimmer. You'll find a good deal as they are out there, you just have to find them which can take time. You could also look into the Aqua C Ramora line of HOB skimmers. They make a model that should handle your set-up well and not need any space in the sump. I've used one of there HOB skimmers and found them to be a great skimmer. Even new they are not a overly priced skimmer.

That could be another option for you to consider

GoWild
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
. You could also look into the Aqua C Ramora line of HOB skimmers. They make a model that should handle your set-up well and not need any space in the sump. I've used one of there HOB skimmers and found them to be a great skimmer. Even new they are not a overly priced skimmer.

That could be another option for you to consider That's a good idea. Seems like they are priced about the same as the reef octopus 6 I wanted or their external recirculating skimmer I thought about. I'll have to toss that around.

I did get a skimmer with the tank and he said I would need a maxi jet for it to work. I attached pics. The intakes are up high and I have never saw that before. I Dont want to buy an extra pump if I dont have to. I do have a little pump thats rated for 350gph that I tried to hook up to it but I wasn't getting the bubbles cause its not a venturi. I tried to hook up my air pump right after the pump to put bubbles into the water line. I even used a valve to control the airflow. There were bubbles but they were super small. I left it for a few days and stopped. I never had a skimmer before so I just researched and tried to simulate.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Your bubbles should be very small. You will definitely want something a bit better than that skimmer though. lol

This is a picture of my skimmer and the bubbles it creates. Yes, all that white is fine bubbles.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/iluvmygoldbarb/6b7335b5.jpg
That skimmer is a Super Reef Octopus 3000 with the Bubble Blaster Pump. It probably puts out more bubbles then the average skimmer, but that will give you a rough idea of just what it should look like.

GoWild
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Your bubbles should be very small. You will definitely want something a bit better than that skimmer though. lol

This is a picture of my skimmer and the bubbles it creates. Yes, all that white is fine bubbles.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/iluvmygoldbarb/6b7335b5.jpg
That skimmer is a Super Reef Octopus 3000 with the Bubble Blaster Pump. It probably puts out more bubbles then the average skimmer, but that will give you a rough idea of just what it should look like. I knew it was a waste of time with that skimmer. My bubbles were no were near that. It kind of looks like a home made skimmer but IDK.

I haven't set up my sump yet cause nothing is finalized. but I like the idea of the HOB skimmer. because my sump is only a 20L

Any ideas of what lil white hair like things hanging on the back of the tank are? They are about a mm long or so and are pretty much all over the tank glass. Looks like I maybe gettings some algae but I can't tell if it's a brown or a green. You cant see it from the front but if you look at the glass from an angle on the side you can see lil algae spots. Here are two pics. One is from the front and you can see on the back glass and the other is from the side and you can kinda see the algae I am talking about.
My sail fin blenny seems to be munching on it. Not sure if hes eating the white stuff or the algae.

Side note they butterfly fish is super active. He ate. He keeps swimming on the side next to the tank where one of my PJ cardinals is hanging out and now my star fish is climbing up

GoWild
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Edit: the Blenny is eating the white stuff

Cliff
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm having a little trouble making out the algae, LOL must be my old eyes. Does you algae look like it has little bubbles trapped in it ? Something like the below ?

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/dino.jpg

GoWild
06-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm having a little trouble making out the algae, LOL must be my old eyes. Does you algae look like it has little bubbles trapped in it ? Something like the below ?

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/dino.jpg LOL nope not like that. Its lil light brown spots all over. Diamater of a pencil.

I just tested my LR water and its around 5ppm. Im heading out but will do another water change when I get home!

hockeyhead019
06-13-2012, 02:23 AM
The little brown spots are just diatoms, they come with the cycling of a new tank

GoWild
06-16-2012, 02:41 AM
I set up the qt on monday, tested it, was good, put a fish in there, my ammonia was up some on wednesday. Did a 40% change, retested it a few hours later and every thing was good. I tested my water yesterday, ammonia was about the same. I tested my water today and all my parameters were high. My ammonia, my nitrites and my nitrates were all out of wack. I did a water change, put some ammonia lock in it and set up an air bubbler in the tank, and put some chaeto in there cause I had to leave for awhile, not knowing if it would help any.

I came home a few hours later and my fish was not acting normal, kinda leaning at a 30 degree angle for awhile. So instead of keeping him in the hell he was in, I put him into my regular tank.

Whatever that rice thing was on his side was gone before I put him in my tank. My scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp got a hold of my fish and was doing what they do and was acting as the hospital for the fish. My shrimp tries to get near the fish but my fish just stays out of reach. He seems to be acting better. Here's hoping everything stays good. I might just keep my qt tank up and running from here on out so I don't have to worry about a cycle again. .

GoWild
06-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Here's where my star fish hangs out more often than not thumbs2:

GoWild
06-16-2012, 05:03 AM
It's not looking good for my butterfly fish. I don't think I've had a fish die on me in the last year I got back into aquariums. I know it's my fault cause I used the quarantine tank with a filter that has been in my sump for the last month.

I feel bad cause Im damned if I do and damned if I don't.

GoWild
06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
It died... I want to get a return ar my petco but it doesmt ,ake up for the fsh duying. and even so. idk what I want

GoWild
06-17-2012, 03:30 AM
I brought the fish back to Petco and blamed the fish dying on the fact that it was returned, prior to me buying it. I brought in a water sample from my main tank to show my water was good even though it was my quarantine tank. I'm so mad at myself that that happened.

Anyways, she's gonna order a new fish of my choice for me, so I have to figure out what we want. It'll be atleast two weeks before I get the fish so hopefully I can get the quarantine tank figured out.

GoWild
06-17-2012, 03:58 AM
I've been thinking about doing this for awhile but also wanted to see my ghost knife, Jack demsey and green terror reach there full size. I put a add on craigslist to see if any one had a sw tank that they would trade and this guy had this set up for 2 years and its still running.

Cpr backpack skimmer rated for 60 gallons, 30lbs of live sand, t5 lighting, 2 powerheads rated 425gph each.

He is gonna throw some true blue mushrooms and zoanthids in too.

I know next to nothing about corals.

He said he does 5% water changes every 3-4 days so Ill prob keep doing that.

Im excited to get some small lil fish too.

GoWild
06-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Just a little update on my two tanks. I tested my water in my nano and the nitrates were crazy high, It's all the same water from the person I got it from.
I'm going to do a 75%wc tomorrow. I have some red rock in there and it's starting to turn white, and looks like I have some red slime accumulating on the gravel. I'm have a genius plan to crush my CC to fine gravel that I am going to try to do tomorrow too, if it works, I'll be changing it out as well.

I talked to my LFS store owner who specializes in coral and high dollar fish, also where I get my RO water and the RO has 00 TDS in the water which is good.

I talked to him about phosphate in tanks and I need to figure out what I am going to use to test my tanks cause the std AFI test kits read between 0-0.25 and reef tanks need to be at 0.03... So just some more research to do before I make any major decisions on what to put in the tank like gfos and w/e

I stopped by petco like I always do on wednesday when they get there shipment in and another regular was there who is a pretty decent hobbiest but keeps his 75 and 20 all natural/no skimmers, nothing fancy and apparently its flourishing.

The MGR ashley that we get our fish from just started to order some corals (not to knowledgable in that dept) in and recieved a rock that was like 6" by 3" with a bunch(like 30 or 40 buds) of closed up zoanthids.

She was worried they weren't gonna make it and gave it to me half price. $15. Got them home and they all started to open up.

Also there was a maroon fish flirting with two pink tip anemones and really getting into the one and apparently brought food to it earlier so I got the one anememe and fish. plus the return of the butterflyfish that died, so all that for $20 or tech. 43 for what I origanally paid for the fish LOL

I gave up on the qt tank for now but its still running and I put a lil food in it every day. It's kind of a side note for now but I will probably start qt new arrivals eventually..

I added a bunch of red legged crabs last week and read that they dont get along with the anneme so I have to watch for that and I still have the star fish in my tank and they arent coral friendly so he may go in my sump till I figure out what to do with him. The plan is to keep the 72 a fowler but who knows if my wife will like the colors of the corals. She has been looking at them alot for my nano... so maybe she'll want them in her 72, if so then, Ill rehome the starfish.

GoWild
06-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Well that didn't last long, The starfish was partly on the polyps. So in the sump he goes. I just added a bunch of newly cured non live rock in there plus some from my tank and the few lbs that have been in there, so hopefully he has some things to forage on.

The sump isn't really set up right now so Its a 20 long FILLED with lr, Cheato and a powerhead and a return pump with a filter over it. LOL Well it does have one small baffle before the return pump...

GoWild
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
The new additions. The zoanthids are openning well. Though some haven't opened at all but looks like they will at some point. It's only day two

GoWild
06-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Everything seems to be going good in my 72 gallon tank. I've been maintaining 1.020 specific gravity levels in my tank since its only a fowler but over the last week I have been trying to slowly increase the levels to 1.023/1.024 but it's been slow going but it's almost there.

I came home from the hospital my anemone was deflated looking and I panicked some but I called the lfs and come to find out he was pooping, He ate and was looking good within the hr.

My 20 gallon is due for a huge wc but I don't have time so it's just running with lr, skimmer, powerheads, heater and lights on a timer.

I'm pretty sure I want to set up a sump for it to make things more stable, probably do a 10 gallon. Thinking of using a cpr overflow with a return pump I have already. Or possibly do a diy overflow but there isn't much room in the 20 gallon to begin with so that may be unsightly for my taste

Also my stand can't hold a 10 gallon sump so I may try to build a custom one or figure something else out.

I'm researching corals and other things to increase my know how.

GoWild
06-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Also the LR I was curing became ready to put in the tank earlier this week so most of it went into the sump. Now my sump is full of live rock.

Cliff
06-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Good thing your rasing the salinity. I would suggest kepping it around 1.025 to 1.027. That is closer that of the ocean and will help you to keep other parameters in line such as your pH.

GoWild
06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
My first coral is looking pretty good. Not a bad buy for $15.00 Any one tell me what excatly it is.

Crispy
06-27-2012, 12:28 AM
those are zoanthids. commonly called zoos or zoas and a good beginners coral.

GoWild
06-27-2012, 12:39 AM
those are zoanthids. commonly called zoos or zoas and a good beginners coral.

LOL is there another part of there name. Are they just green zoas?

Crispy
06-27-2012, 06:54 AM
LOL is there another part of there name. Are they just green zoas?

there are a million names for all the dif coloured ones. not sure exactly what to call yours, but they are basically all the same to my knowledge.

GoWild
06-28-2012, 01:37 AM
I moved my tank today to where my 75 gal. fw. Getting everything in order for when my boy enters this world on friday. I cleaned the glass and took off that stupid blue background. My water looks immaculate. I switched my sump around too which was no easy task since it has to come out the top of the stand and it's just me. But now it's a straight shot up for my return pump so I will get max pressure out of it.

I'm going to try to set up an algae scrubber this weekend but we'll see if that happens.

Tested the 20 gl tank and everything is normal. 0's for ammonia and nitrite and about 10ppm. nitrate. I put a turbo snail and my new mis bar clown in the tank and will watch it closely for awhile to make sure things stay stable.

I think I might build a custom stand for the 20 gallon that is taller and can accommodate a 10 gal sump, that I want to put a refuge or algae scrubber in. Maybe build a custom canopy too.

Thats it for now. Things are looking good. Oh I took out all the substrate in the nano and kind of like the bare bottom look for now.

Also my rock is just in there on the 72 because I was to busy cleaning the house to get it right

GoWild
06-28-2012, 01:56 AM
our sail fin blenny hanging out.

GoWild
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Well I got my algae scrubber set up yesterday. Right now the piping is held up by zipties so it looks kind of ghetto but oh well. I'm still working on the lighting too but right now the screen is 10.5 x 14 so it's about 2" per display tank volume when lit on one side. I put a union on there so I could just take off the latter part and clean it easily.

Now that I am getting some more direction in my tank, I may start to think about my sump set up again.

GoWild
07-20-2012, 03:22 AM
I finally decided How I want to do my overflow on my 20H. I'm gonna go with the bean animal design using 3/4" drains. I'm gonna use glass from a 5 gallon tank to build the overflow. It should be dead silent and not take up too much space since I'm going with 3/4" drains. I'm gonna do one return with a y in the tank to spread the water flow out. I could have bought overflow and return kits from glassholes.com but decided to piece everything together and I am saving about 50 bucks or so. Plus I wanted my tank to be "custom" LOL

I picked up some 2x3s to build the frame of my stand. Gonna make it 48" tall and 30" wide and 18" deep. Which will give me 3" all the way around the tank and I can drill holes in the back for the plumbing. Prob build that tomorrow. still working the kinks out, how I am going to finish it and add a door, but I may just use 1/4" sheets of birch or oak plywood, stain or paint it, and just put moldings on the edges.

I'll get my parts on order tonight, build the stand tomorrow, play around with the tank to figure out where I want to cut the holes

I

GoWild
08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Scoping out my 72 gl tank today and found a random zoa head by it's lonesome 12 or more inches away on a different rock. Not sure if this is normal.

I added a lemon peel to the 72 gal and a 6 line wrasse to the 20 gal

Both great additions. Also acclimating a orange stripe prawn goby for the 72

Crispy
08-03-2012, 12:10 AM
looks like a mushroom growing, not a zoa. very hardy critters those shrooms.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Good luck with that Lemon Peel and the corals. Although considered "reef safe with caution" they are probably the least "reef safe" of the Cytropyge genus. Beautiful fish though.

GoWild
08-03-2012, 02:27 AM
looks like a mushroom growing, not a zoa. very hardy critters those shrooms.
I feel like a dumb@ss. The one pic is of a ricordia mushroom I just added to my 20 gallon today. I thought I mentioned that LOL:doh: :doh: :doh: .The other pic is of the random zoa head. Here are three pics. In pic number one, you see the zoa clusters and on the very bottom right is where the random zoa showed up.

One more thing, I have two aptasias/glass anemones growing in my 20.... I think I'm gonna buy a syringe and try boiling water or lemon juice.

And as far as the lemon peel being reef safe. I don't really have a reef tank going yet. Just the zoas in the 72 Till I buy new lights, then I may add some lps corals in there.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Just the zoas in the 72 Till I buy new lights, then I may add some lps corals in there. Angel's favourite targets. Good luck :22:

GoWild
08-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Angel's favourite targets. Good luck :22:
Awesome, another learning experience like my anemone eating my clown fish and stinging and killing my mushroom. Oh saltwater.... LOL I don't feel I'm ready for lps yet anyways, let alone dealing with a fish nipping them. I'll worry about it when the time comes LOL

GoWild
08-03-2012, 04:39 AM
I got my bulkheads,elbows,return and return pump today. One step closer!

GoWild
05-21-2013, 04:18 AM

GoWild
05-21-2013, 04:26 AM
I picked this up as it was missed marked as a snowflake, then scratched to show it was a Picasso clown but remained at the $50.00 price point. The guy manger who sold it to me knew it was a premium Picasso clown fish, a $150-180 fish but said it came in mislabeled so he sold it to me anyway. He also showed me a pair of I think the were black ice clowns that he got in that retail for 250 each. Just thought I'd share me score. 28673

GoWild
05-21-2013, 04:32 AM

GoWild
06-17-2013, 04:07 AM
I tried for a long time to get algae to grow on my algae scrubber, well kind of half @$$ tried for about a year and couldn't get it too grow. I only had a 20 long tank under my 72 gallon and wanted to switch out my sump for awhile but in order to do it, the tank had to come out of the top of the stand because of the brace in the front center of the stand. I saw a forum of a guy who supported his tank while full and removed the front brace, did what he had to do, then put it back, but I wasnt about to risk 72 gallons of water and its inhabitants to fall all over my floor.
So the time came for me to change out my substrate from Crushed coral to sand to get control over my nitrates and I took the opportunity to redo my sump too. The final drain lines aren't plumbed complety but its pretty much final. I have my drain line going into a 20 gallon high tank, which I drilled three holes in the side for the water to drain in a 10 gallon tank which houses my return pump and my skimmer, behind the 20 gallon is a 5 gallon tank for RO water that I use with my ATO. 289292893028931

GoWild
06-17-2013, 04:35 AM
I switched out my Crushed coral last week with oceans direct caribea sea, a link to my review and my sump build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBtPGdktbPg

I added three 1600 gph jbj power heads with a ocean pulse wave maker which alternates all the powerheads at whatever time intervals I set it at. They are really quiet and work really well to create random flow. For the most part two are on at any given time so i figure I have about 45x turnover rate. once everything gets settled in my tank i may add my 1250gph powerhead back in there which will make it about 60X turnover but I dont have any SPS coral so Im ok with it now.

Here are some pics of my new tank mates. I picked up a platinum clown that I am going to try to breed with my premium onyx Picasso clwon. I got a vlamingi tang for free from a guy who was tearing down his tank. I have two clams, a derasa and a squamosa clam, a male mandarin, and just two days ago I picked up a small tri color bubble tip that is still trying to find its new spot in my tank. Hopefully, the clowns, will stop hosting in my bi-color hammer.

GoWild
06-17-2013, 04:38 AM

GoWild
06-17-2013, 04:40 AM

GoWild
06-17-2013, 04:50 AM
I know its nothing too impressive but I am liking my current stocking. I'm trying to stay away from common color corals. My manderin is happy, my vlamingi tang is a really cool addition. Lucy is her name. She likes to be pet and eats like a pig. I moved my sqamosa clam up into the rock work cause lucy will chase pellets on the sand and bump into them and knock them over sometimes. I feed variety of frozen too, just throwing that out there and a few times a week put zooplankton in for my corals.
Hopefully my T5 lights will be enough to grow my chaeto, Im going to look into other macro algae soon too.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Ok, I just kind of skipped to the end but I am really hoping that somewhere in there you upgraded that tank drastically in order to properly house that Tang.

GoWild
06-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Ok, I just kind of skipped to the end but I am really hoping that somewhere in there you upgraded that tank drastically in order to properly house that Tang. if you didn't read it why bother throwing your two cents in? I got the fish for free from someone who had it in the same size tank I have it in. I try to do the ethical thing and not by any fish that will out grow my tank, which is why after a year my fish stock consist of three PJ cardinals, two small percula clowns, a bi-color blenny, and manderin which is also new (which I bought $100 dollars in cocopods and rebuilt my sump to keep a growing population for). I've stayed away from tangs for two reasons, their diet and there size. This one eats seems to eat meat cause I feed mostly frozen variety and he scarfs it down and I know it's meat. He
Is the biggest fish in the tank and has the whole front, sides, back and most of the top to swim in cause my rock is all in the center. Plus my other fish don't really swim around the tank. The blenny stays in the rock, the manderin is on the ground or within the rock, my clowns swim around some but stay in the corner near the frog spawn and my pjs just float. But thanks for the moral advice.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2013, 12:51 AM
No need to get an attitude. Notice I "skipped" to the end, I did read most, just didn't see that it was a free fish. Still doesn't change the fact that I'd recommend finding it a more appropriate home.

GoWild
06-18-2013, 02:20 AM
We'll see what happens when the time comes. He's only 5 inches now and i was under the impression that the previous owner had her for awhile. Maybe that will be the "push" my wife needs to allow me to get a bigger tank cause my wife loves that she allows her to pet her. I just try to be a responsible pet owner is all. Should've known that the tang police would get me lol.

Cliff
06-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Keep a close eye on the tang and when the time comes, up-grade or rehome him. It seams like most tangs grow really fast up until they hit 4 to 6 inches, then the growth rate slows down a great deal. I would guess that you most likely have a year or two before you would have to worry about that, so enjoy him until then.

In the mean time, offer him some seaweed to eat as well. Tangs are omnivores and will do best with a varied diet.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2013, 02:44 AM
I can respect that you try to do the responsible thing with keeping your fish, and I'm not implying that you don't. It's not so much a matter of "the Tang police" (goodness knows I'm not a member of that group lol) but rather a matter of having a fish in a tank that has the potential to be half the length of the tank when full grown. lol You would be surprised at just how easily and how quickly these fish can become stunted.

BTW, tell you wife never to try petting any Rabbitfish you may acquire. LOL

GoWild
06-18-2013, 03:29 AM
I feed her seaweed prob every other day if not every day. And the I prob feed the green frozen cube quite often. She def gets her share of food and the size of her poop shows it lol.

Iluvmygoldbarb lol ill make sure the wife knows better if we ever get a rabbit fish. What all, if anything, do you guys know about stunted fish? Like what are some signs to look for? I'm sure ill know when the time comes when she's getting too big. I think I'm done stocking now for sure cept for corals :) but I'm still deciding how I want the tank to look. I really like her though. She reminds me of a jack demsy cichlid but with more personality and pretty lips but how she's always at the glass.

Cliff
06-18-2013, 11:56 AM
I only really know of three main things to look for, but that is based only on what I have read ans the pics that I have seen. Unfortunately, most of the time when you see them, there usually is at least a small degree of stunting already occurring. I think your best bet would be to carefully watch the fish for signs that he is running out of room to comfortably swim and don’t wait to see symptoms of stunting.

Other things to watch for:
Changes in appetite
Changes in color or appearance that is not normal
Changes in behaviour that is different than what is typically shown

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2013, 12:58 PM
To be honest it is a bit difficult to tell with SW fish. Ironically, SW will can be stunted even when they do not appear to be too big for the tank. That is why it is so important to keep fish in tanks they will grow into. For example, we took in a 7" Miniatus Grouper that came out of a 90gal tank. The fish had been there for a few years. Since they are not very active fish, they won't really appear too large for the tank, however that fish was undoubtedly stunted as it will get 16" long. On the other hand, I've watched a large Achilles Tang in a 90gal and it was obvious it was cramped for space, as all it would do all day was swim in loops around the front of the tank. Thankfully, that fish ended up in a friend's 8' 300gal tank with plenty of room. There are more factors involved in stunting than simply the size of the tank, however the size of the tank do make those factors a bit more difficult to control sometimes. Diet can be controlled, but water quality will need to be maintained, and the health of the fish is very important. A fish that get's stressed and sick prior to reaching full size will likely end up stunted. We have a Purple Tang at the store that was a rescue fish. It currently resides in a 120gal square coral tank and has been there for 9 years. That fish is only about 2.5" long though. When it came to us it had serious fin damage and HLLE. It took a while but we were able to nurse it back and even though the fins grew back and the HLLE damage was repaired, that fish never grew beyond the 2.5" due to such massive amounts of stress and illness early in it's life.