PDA

View Full Version : 20 gallon cichlid tank?

calla
09-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I think I have decided against the pair of kribs in my soon to be empty 20 gallon tank. I don't think I can deal with all the fry, my lfs seemed less than thrilled about the idea of adopting them.

So, I was wondering if there are any other cichlids that stay small and mix together well, that could make for a colorful, active tank. I would want to get only one of each species (can you do this?) so that they don't breed.

I really know little about cichlids, but like colorful ones. I also would perfer a type that does ok in the ph of my tap water (about 6.8-7.2) so that I don't have to alter it....

is this possible? what fish would you recommend?

tropfish
09-08-2007, 07:59 PM
well you couldn't keep many because of territory issues, but i would go with mybe one convict and one firemouth, with a couple tiger barbs as dithers and some cories or other small cats for cleanup.

Dave66
09-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Some of the easy care dwarf cichlids mixed with tetras and cories would work. Golden dwarves (Nannacara anomela), Flag Cichlids (Laetacara curviceps) Red Breasted Cichlid (L. dorsegerius) and Ports (L. portelegrensis), not to mention Keyholes (L. maroni) are some you can keep, say six of one of those species. Very mellow guys, and quite attractive.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
09-09-2007, 12:25 AM
You could have a pair of convicts and feed the fry to another fish or something.

Dave66
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
You could have a pair of convicts and feed the fry to another fish or something.

Yeah Ed, but you know what holy terrors Convicts are when they breed, to their tankmate's cost. Fish I suggested don't have that problem. I don't know if Calla wants carnage or not, though.

Dave

calla
09-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I don't want anything that's going to breed..... I'd like to get a few different kinds of cichlids to prevent that actually.

I was thinking that maybe I'll wait till I get the 29 gallon up and cycled, and make it the cichlid tank. That way it could be a little bigger. I had also planned on putting 8 corys in the 29, and from what you guys said it sounds like that will be ok. I looked up some of the ones you mentioned dave, and like them.... problems are probably going to arise when I go to buy the fish.... they have them in tanks like "assorted africian cichlids" or what not, and I have a heck of a time identifying what they are...seems like the employees do as well. Just have to do some more studying I guess :)

Dave66
09-09-2007, 05:27 AM
You'd probably have to special order them to make sure you get what you're after. It's what I do. They are more likely to order for you if you pay them half in advance, by the way. Make sure you get a receipt.
By the way, most of those I mentioned are South Americans, not Africans.
If you want husbandry info on any I've mentioned, just ask.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
How about a krib, 2 rams, and maybe a few tiger barbs?

Problem with cichlids is that as soon as their happy- they breed.

calla
09-10-2007, 04:09 AM
How about a krib, 2 rams, and maybe a few tiger barbs?

Problem with cichlids is that as soon as their happy- they breed.

so, could I just get a krib, 1 ram, and some tiger barbs? what other shoal could go in there? (I never really have liked the tiger barbs...)

btw... I think I've decided to make the cichlid tank with my 29. so there will be a little more room to consider.

Dave66
09-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Calla, you'd need at least eight Tiger Barbs, as less than that, they pick at each other and tankmates that don't look too formidable.
In a 29, you could have four or five dozen cardinal tetras, six dwarf cichlids, and a dozen smaller cories, like pandas. For the top, 12 marbled hatchetfish. Would be a lovely tank.
Also, the dwarves I mentioned above are secretive about spawning, so there's not any aggression to worry about. By the way, your fish store would be far more receptive to buying fry from those fish.

Dave

calla
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Calla, you'd need at least eight Tiger Barbs, as less than that, they pick at each other and tankmates that don't look too formidable.
In a 29, you could have four or five dozen cardinal tetras, six dwarf cichlids, and a dozen smaller cories, like pandas. For the top, 12 marbled hatchetfish. Would be a lovely tank.
Also, the dwarves I mentioned above are secretive about spawning, so there's not any aggression to worry about. By the way, your fish store would be far more receptive to buying fry from those fish.

Dave

Yeah, I'm gonna say no on the tiger barbs. BUT< am I reading what you've written correctly? 4 or 5 dozen cardinals????? in a 29? If I were to make the tank you suggested above (which I really like) there would be upwards of 70 fish! that can't be right! can it??

I already have some of the corys that will be going into the tank, they are the emerald ones, and was thinking about a total of 8. If I had 8 corys, 6 dwarf cichlids, then how many cardinals should I get?
hmm...gotta figure out the dwarfs that I want too. Where do you guys order fish from, online, your lfs? Never done it before, so I want a reliable source.

Thanks!

*edit* also, is it ok to keep just one of each dwarf? are they shoaling fish or do they need to be paired? I'd like to have 4, or 6, each different... if this is possible.