PDA

View Full Version : worried about my corys...

calla
09-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I read so many posts on here about how active, sociable, and cute peoples corys are. But mine REALLY are not. I have had them for about 2-3 weeks now, so I guess they may be still adapting to the new home... but I didn't think it took that long.

There are 4 of them, the emerald green ones, my tank is 20 gallons, and they are currently the only inhabitants. The water paramaters are all good, this is my oldest, completely cycled tank, and they have a coconut and terra cotta cave as well as many plants for hiding. There is a piece of driftwood in the middle and they ALWAYS are under it, huddled together.

I VERY VERY rarely notice any of the what seems to be typical cory behavior from them.... and wonder what could be the problem?

I'd like to increase their shoal size to 8, but my lfs hasn't had any for a while, and the bunch they just got in looked very sick, with tore up fins.....

They have grown like CRAZY since I got them, so I know they are eating well..... but they just don't seem like the cute and happy corys everyone else describes. Any ideas?

MeganL3985
09-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I dunno what to tell you.....except I guess to compare them to my oto cats. They are soooooooo lazy during the day...laying on the leaves, sitting on rocks, sitting on the back glass, etc. But as soon as those lights shut off, those things are alllllll over the tank! lol Then back to being slugs in the morning.

One of mine died last week though......but the other one still shows the same behavior and is alive and looks well.

calla
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
here's a picture I just took of them, doing what they are always doing...

and I was wondering about that too megan... I don't know if corys are nocturnal or not, and the 20 gallon is in my sons room. So, putting him to bed around lights out in the tank, I may just be missing most of their activity.

Kaga's Kritters
09-08-2007, 07:38 PM
my cories are lazy too. they just sit around all day long. my water parameters are good too, but they have always been like this. not sure why either.

Dave66
09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Reason they do that is that they are concerned about preditors. If they don't see a shoal of schooling fish, like tetras, acting normally, they are wired there's a preditor somewhere, thus they stay still and hide out.
Couple of dozen neons and you'd see normal corie behavior.

Dave

SkarloeysMom
09-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Reason they do that is that they are concerned about preditors. If they don't see a shoal of schooling fish, like tetras, acting normally, they are wired there's a preditor somewhere, thus they stay still and hide out.
Couple of dozen neons and you'd see normal corie behavior.

Dave

Well that makes a lot of sense...they need to feel secure that there are other fish peaceful fish about. My panda corys used to hide quite. I think they may have been hiding cuz they were sick though.

zackish
09-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Dave has to be exactly right because I only have 3 corys in my 29g for now and they are all swimming around and always active because I have a school of rasboras and a school of cardinal tetras.

MeganL3985
09-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Will they do that with any schooling fish? Like would guppies be okay?

Dave66
09-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Will they do that with any schooling fish? Like would guppies be okay?

Probably, Megan. Seems to be numbers and size with cories, not what kind of school.

Dave

MeganL3985
09-09-2007, 01:16 AM
So they look for a school of smaller sized fish then?

Dave66
09-09-2007, 02:32 AM
So they look for a school of smaller sized fish then?

Yes Megan. Keep in mind that cories primarily are found living in leaf-scattered, fairly shallow streams and creeks in nature. In those environs, most of the fish they see are small; Apistos and schooling tetras. When the odd pike or wolf cichlid comes upstream, they freeze and hide and the tetras split. Thus, it's in the cories' nature to freeze and hide when there are no tetras.

Dave

calla
09-09-2007, 04:54 AM
huh. this is interesting.....

so.... you don't think they have checked it out and realize they are alone in the tank? or is it that 3 second memory thing/instinct kicking in telling them to hide all the time?

hhhhrrrmmmmm I've been trying to decide what tank to put my corys in lately..... so, if I make the 29 gallon a cichlid tank, the corys will hide in there all the time as well?

Dave66
09-09-2007, 05:07 AM
huh. this is interesting.....

so.... you don't think they have checked it out and realize they are alone in the tank? or is it that 3 second memory thing/instinct kicking in telling them to hide all the time?

hhhhrrrmmmmm I've been trying to decide what tank to put my corys in lately..... so, if I make the 29 gallon a cichlid tank, the corys will hide in there all the time as well?

Depends on the Cichlids, Calla. The dwarves are very mellow and keep to themselves. If it isn't small enough to eat, they'll ignore it. Adult neons are safe with them, though I'd go with something lemon tetra-sized for piece of mind (some adult neons are tiny). Kribs aren't bad, though they are african, and cories, the dwarves & tetras are south american.
Occured to me on dwarf that would be unique for you - checkerboard cichlids: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Dicrossus_filamentosus.php. Lousy picture, but adult males are lovely when they are mature. Mellow guys too, so you could keep a school of tetras with them.

Dave