PDA

View Full Version : crayfish breeding

Ruth
05-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi all you fishy kind of people out there. I have a turtle tank which contains 2 crayfish. The other day, my son noticed that one of the crayfish has eggs. Will a crayfish lay eggs even without a male around? For instance, I may have 2 female. Can I still clean my turtle tank with her having eggs, or should I wait? Thanks for any help!

Full3R
05-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Its most likely that you have a male and a female, i would seperate the male from her (or the other female) and not clean the tank unless it gets VERY dirty just make sure theres good airtaion and filteration also give numerous hiding places which the mother could not get into so when the babies are born they may hide but u should remove the mum when the babies leave her and begin to freely walk around but she shouldnt harm them for atleast a couple of weeks, be warned that the babies will fight amonst them selves so its wise to put lost of hiding spots and things they can climb up onto so they all have their own space within the tank

FWNewby
12-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I DID have a mother loaded with eggs. I isolated her in a 10gal tank to be able to try to keep the babies. But, as usual, they rarely eat when they have the eggs. But, she wouldn't eat a thing!? I noticed 1 day (after not checking thoroughly for 5 days) that she had very little black spots unter her tail. Two days later she was out and about and I picked her up to be sure and there wasn't a baby to be had! She ate ALL her "fry"(?) when they were born I guess? I have PLENTY of hiding places. Kept 2 kinds of vegative leaves they will eat for babies protection to hide and eat too! So, tell me how that happened? I've only been on here 1 time with a sick gourami question. Now, I'd like some info on the creyfish (which I've researched to death) about the mother eating the young? I didn't read anything about this happpening before? Can you help with this question or a site that can? I've read HRS of stuff!!!???

cocoa_pleco
12-11-2008, 05:07 AM
threads from 2006