PDA

View Full Version : What do you think

DeadSulphurhead
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t456/stfu1988/?action=view&current=IMG_1711.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2F s1060.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft456%2Fstfu1988%2 F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_1711.jpg

Hopefully I posted that link right..

I don't have a very big property, so I did what I could with what I had.
Keep in mind, I'm an interior renovator, not a landscaper! lol

2 pictures are from 2 months ago, the other 2 are from last week.

Eventually the ivys in the waterfall will spread over the rocks, and everything will fill in, especially at the back.
Was just doing some pump maintenance so the hoses are exposed.

What do you guys think, any suggestions for improvement (q)
I'm all ears:givemebeer:

MLBfan
06-05-2012, 02:13 AM
I very much like the lanscaping, what is the stocking?

DeadSulphurhead
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
5 various Koi, I'll get some pics of them soon, just the UV light hasn't been turned on yet so the water isn't crystal clear.

There's about 20 or so red minnows in the 40g of water higher up.

There's also a ton of trap door snails, and a big bullfrog named Grumpy. Sometimes his name is just, " Shut the hell up you stupid frog"

mommy1
06-05-2012, 05:00 AM
You did pretty good for not being a landscaper :14: I'm impressed, looks very nice.

Crispy
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
looks good. how deep were you able to go? is it a preformed pond?

DeadSulphurhead
06-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Was a preformed shell I got for free because of a big crack on the bottom a couple years ago.
Was just under 3'6", but I cut the bottom out and extended down roughly another foot, and then lined it.

The little tree to the right of the pictures might be coming out after this season, so another extension is possible!

I also love most Coleus, and there is quite a bit around that you can't see in the picture.. Lots of funky colours, I let mom choose most of the greenery, but where it goes is all me..

Patio is almost ready for BBQs, and I expect to see most of the AC community in attendance...

smaug
06-05-2012, 11:53 PM
That is beautifully done! What are its dimensions and estimated gallons?

Brhino
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
looks great! How do you winter them? I'd love a koi pond, but I worry about the weather.

DeadSulphurhead
06-06-2012, 12:30 AM
I thought about measuring dimensions... I looked at the oblong awkwardness of it, and thought, "I'm not being paid to do that". It has planter shelves and all that fun stuff.
I've seen very similar shells saying 180g, so I'm going to say that. It took a little more than 60g to fill my extended bottom, plus a 40g shell up top. Nearing 300g with the water in the hoses and waterfall, with a 1550gph pump. (Can't beat Mastercraft quality and price, never buy pond equipment from LFS)

As for wintering, I was hesitant, until people told me they've had them survive in only 3' ponds. It's all about the gas exchange.
I simply used a heater, a small debris pump, and a styrofoam floater and inserted a tube up through the bottom so that the water trickled down over the styrofoam. Did a big water change in the spring, and good to go.
You would have similar winters as me down in Michigan. This past winter was verrry mild mind you, only needed the heater for a total of 2 weeks, instead of 3 months

I seldom feed them protein though, I want to keep them longer than 1 year! lol All vitamins and algae sticks

smaug
06-06-2012, 12:39 AM
I got to the last sentence of your last post and am relieved that you understand the koi will need new homes in about 2 yrs. Do the fish a favor and help there longevity by feeding them a quality protein based food while they are young. You can't keep them long anyway so they may as well grow well why you have them.
Fwiw I have kept pond fish in very cold winters in ponds less the 2 ft. My first pond I kept
for 5 yrs was 150 gallons and only 18 inches deep. As you state,its about air exchange.

DeadSulphurhead
06-06-2012, 12:50 AM
They still get a good amount of protein from the vitamin pellets. I just mean I don't feed the growth protein pellets more than twice a week. It's also a 20,000g pond they'll eventually end up in, guy from work, so I'm not worried about that either.

smaug
06-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Lucky Koi! Ill say it again,you did a great job on your pond:22:

DeadSulphurhead
06-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks! I know the birds sure love it... unfortunately..

What do you guys use to deter these unwanted poopers?
I was thinking of a decoy snake.. I don't want to use a decoy owl or heron because that would scare ALL birds away, including the smaller, cleaner ones like finches and canaries.

smaug
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I dont worry about it. Its nature and the pond is in there domain like it or not. Any poo in the water will break down quick in the biofilter and solids be removed. Any on the surrounding scape can be hosed off.

DeadSulphurhead
06-09-2012, 09:48 PM
It's beyond the point of just letting it happen and dealing with it after. This is the first year it's even been 1/4 this bad. The first year the crows and crackles have discovered it I guess, and they are keeping visually attractive, less wasteful birds away. If it were a large pond, I wouldn't mind and would welcome all wildlife, other than snakeheads. Going out every morning or after work to find completely white rocks = not fun and ugly. If I'm away for a day, that poop is baked right in there. The waterfall rocks are very textured and porous, making a hose futile, and a pain in the rear trying to keep the tap water out of the pond.

Maybe a Goliath Birdeater would work... just keep the kids away