PDA

View Full Version : Big Cichlids

Dave66
09-08-2007, 06:02 AM
There was a post earlier today from someone looking for the 'meanest' African cichlid. Boulengerchromis microlepis was my answer. Its arguably the most aggressive large cichlid. It's also perhaps the largest cichlid there is.

It got me thinking; what are other monster cichlids out there? I mean, B. microlepis females reach nearly three feet.

So a short list of what I could think of off the top of my head.
Parachromis dovii, the Wolf Cichlid 28"+
Cichla ocellaris, the Peacock Bass. The largest one I've seen was 32 inches nose to tail.
Cichla temensis, the Striped Bass. Easily 2.5 feet.
Batrachops sp., nearly 2 feet.

Can you add more?

YaYgoldFish
09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Oscars????

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
He's looking for meanest.

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
daves got a great list so far, would northern pikes count?

tweaks
09-11-2007, 04:10 AM
meanest cichlids or meanest fish in general? if in general id say
lake Sturgeons,Pike or walleyes(judging only by the size of the teeth on them that they would be one mean fish to keep they have almost like fangs like a snake)

If Cichlids id say..Red Devils Or Jaguars

theyres always Arowanas too

Dave66
09-11-2007, 04:48 AM
lake Sturgeons,Pike or walleyes(judging only by the size of the teeth on them that they would be one mean fish to keep they have almost like fangs like a snake)

Just Cichlids, tweaks. I agree about the Jags, but they can't touch Boulengerchromis microlepis for shear belligerance.

Dave

crackatinny
09-11-2007, 08:23 AM

Our Red devil (in avater) is a big baby:thumb:

tweaks
09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
uhm first off haha uhm are you certain that its a Red Devil because Midas cichlids are almost identical? and seeems funny your devils so nice ours attacks anything put in the tank(hands included) been bitten a few times got to point when they get near u have to chase him off b4 u get bit

and Dave uhm so ur just talking cichlids than haha? ya i want a Jag but im not sure how they get along with other fish like if theyre jerks so to say or if theyre just agressive when they need to be like most my fish only fish i have are the ones with the Devil that will fight for no reason BUT the mouths on those Jags are HUGE wow! and if your gunna say Bass than Sturgeons ill go with which can grow to 14 feet long in some cases definetly the Baddest meanest Freshwater lake fish

Drumachine09
09-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Heros Severus (The Cichlid Formerly Known as Cichlisoma Severum.....end prince joke)-8-12"

Dave66
09-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Heros Severus (The Cichlid Formerly Known as Cichlisoma Severum.....end prince joke)-8-12"

Ho Ho, drum. Charmin' lol

Dave

Nick89
09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
no one has mentioned pirhanas so ill say pirhanas lol.

-AK

tweaks
09-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Pirahnas are only good in packs but alone theyre little babys a Red Devil would kill one or any other fish mentioned hahaha but yah theyr mean in packs rthats for sure our Red Devil we have when we got him he was in a tank with 3 pirahnas and half his head was gone sooo maybe thats why ours is sooooo mean

Nick89
09-13-2007, 12:23 AM
what my problem is with red devils, is that they mess up the tank badly. gravel piled up onto 1 side. they are very aggressive. Ill go ahead and say green terrors then.

also, you have a red tiger oscar a jack dempsey and a pleco in a 33??? hope you plan on upgrading.

tweaks
09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
haha yes take into consideration theyre Juveniles right now and we are making a 200+ gallon for the basement wall dont worry and its not cramped for the oscar and Dempsey at the moment its the Eartheater thats cramped and Green terrors arent as mean as some may think:S our is as doscile as they come and why wouldnt you like a REd DEvil changing his environment i think thats SO COOL he makes it his own same with my Pearl Eartheater but i do agree its frustrating Re planting All the plants(fake Plants real plants wouldnt last a day)