PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Cichlids

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 04:02 AM
I am currently trying to find out what type of aggressive fish i want to go with. Any help?

YaYgoldFish
09-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Green Terrors are labeled as "vicious" and to be kept alone. It reaches 9 inches and has really nice colors. One of my favorites!

I'm not a big fan of red devils really..but they are aggressive

Firemouths are really cool too, and get about 17 cm in lenght, so a pair should be kept in no less than 25g and a group of 6 can be kept in 60g with good filtration and waterchanges.

But i haven't seen your other posts..so what size tank and filtration are you running?

If your tank is big enough you could also go with a Jack Dempsey, Oscar, or Maybe even pirhanas.

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Why arent you a fan of red devils?

YaYgoldFish
09-08-2007, 04:11 AM
I don't really like their look i guess..it's really a personel choice..depends on your tastes.

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 04:16 AM
good point

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
i personally like the look of red devils. if it werent for my oscar i would have gotten one

YaYgoldFish
09-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Yeah...Before i hated the look of albino oscars, but i guess since i see them more and more i like them a little more! I'm sure if i saw red devils more often id learn to like them. But for now, my favorite(from his list) Is really close between the green terror and firemouths, especilally since you can have more(fire mouths)

Fishguy2727
09-08-2007, 12:32 PM
What size tank and what size fish?

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 04:15 PM
i think he was going for a 55g

TowBoater
09-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Yea, 55g I think. Firemouths are cool, they get around 6" I think. I want a green terror badly to go in my semi-aggressive tank. Severums are a more laid back cichlid that gets large enough that most aggressive will leave alone and they will interact with you so you could have like a green terror, a firemouth, and a severum with like a clown pleco in there, that would be cool.

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey guys i went to the LFS today and i have stumbled accross some NICE cool fish. they are called Pike Cichlids, anyone have some knowledge on them?? the guy said they are pretty aggressive, and he use to feed his danios lol. they look cool and i could get 2 he said.

Dave66
09-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Probably Crenicichla species, go under the name pike cichlids. Highly preditory dudes, but you shouldn't feed them live fish, as they are too rich for them and can introduce disease and cause renal (kidney) failure if used long term. Lots and lots of prepared and frozen foods are available, and much better for them. They like water about neutral, gH about 8, and 75 degrees. It's highly important that the water is clean with no ammonia or nitrite. Large weekly water changes are essential.

Dave

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 11:46 PM
i didnt think they were dwarfs, he said they got about 8 inches or so. So i cant feed any feeder fish?? i kinda wanted to do that but oh well. they werent too expensive and i plan on having 2 in a 55 gallon. Is that ok? and if it is, could i add anymore fish too it?. these pikes had like a black tiger stripe deal on their body it was awesome so much character in a fish.

id do proably like 2-3 feeder fish once a month. is that too much?

Dave66
09-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I'd have to see it, but it sounds like C. lepidota, which reaches about eight inches.
One or two live fish a month would be ok. They rarely get live fish in nature, usually eating crustaceans and the odd insect larvae, according to the gut analysis in my reference. A live fish once or twice a month would be a treat.

Dave

TXCichlid
09-08-2007, 11:59 PM
now are those really aggressive? and what could i put in with them? i want around 2 of them.

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 12:13 AM
OK i just called the petstore, and the guy who knows most about the pike cichlid i saw wasnt there, so. another guy went and check to see what it looked like and he told me. Its a pale green with a line from its eye to end of its tail but the line isnt solid, its broken up and theres a faint red line on its dorsal fin. Any idea what specie it is?? and any info on it? thanks !

Dave66
09-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Only one I can think of is C. wallacei, which gets a tad larger (9 or 10 inches). C. strigata reaches a foot, and it's line is solid. Still would have to see it to be sure on the ID. The water params are all close to the same for the pike cichlids. They eat the same things, and have the same bad attitudes lol
Of course, they change and intensify colors as they age, as they are Cichlids.

Dave

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh ok cool.

Dave66
09-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Tankmates have to be (a.) of a size that won't fit in their mouths, and they have big ones, and (b.) won't pester or be dominated by the pikes.
Heaven help you if you have a male and female. If they don't kill each other, they are holy terrors when they breed. They'd give Convict parents a run for their money. Pikes will happily kill tankmates when they breed.
Some of the pikes reach about 16 inches. Usual ones you see in stores reach eight or ten.

Dave

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Well thank you Dave, More than likely im going to only keep 1 just for the fact that i might get a male and female. so if i may, review what these fish are all about. 1. They get from an average size of 8-10 in most stores some 16. They are very aggressive and have big mouths so dont put any fish in there thats smaller than them.IF i were to go with just 1 pike cichlid what else could i add to the 55 gallon tank?? Now im done with questions until tommorow when i get the exact information on what specie it is lol. thanks again Dave I appreciate it!

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey Dave? i went on youtube and typed in "Pike Cichlids" right? and i looked through all of them and its the 10th video down, towards the end of the video is what the pike looks like, any idea what it is??

Can someone ID this fish??? i know its a pike but what specie is it.

TowBoater
09-09-2007, 02:41 AM
I would also like to know a few things about these fish, I am interested as well.

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Dave told me that its a Crenicichla wallacei, i dont know where i could find any info on them, so maybe someone could chime in.

Dave66
09-09-2007, 02:49 AM
What would you like to know, Kuhli? They are larger Cichlids, with all that entails. I know for a fact that they are highly preditory, and right nasty buggers when breeding; cold-blooded killers. Not much that you can keep them with that won't intimidate, harass or been eaten by one.
Beautiful, though, when mature, and the breeding colors are something to see.

Dave

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Nice, this sounds like something ive been looking for. But i didn't quite understand , are they only aggressive when breeding? and large you mean around 8 inches or more? thanks for your help, Kuhli, i hope you get your questions answered as well.

TowBoater
09-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Can you sex them when they are not spawning or when young? Could two males live together?

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 03:32 AM
good question, and i forgot to add, are Pike cichlids really messy? I was going to just buy the Emperor 400 filter (just 1) would that work well?

TowBoater
09-09-2007, 12:05 PM
You need 2 of them, that is why I said 2 penguin 350's would do fine.

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey guys i called the Petstore again and the guy thinks it was a Two Spot Pike Cichlid.

im still interested in these fish, but do you think 8 inches is really big???? i would take 2 but i dont know how to tell between a male and female. im not sure, i wish someone here that had one with some pictures would chime in.

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
BTW does anyone know of a good website, where i might find information on these type of fish??

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 06:02 PM
hmmm, you might want to try some specialty cichlid forums.

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
oh, so now you dont want me here huh!? lol just kidding, would you happen to know of any???

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 06:07 PM
no, stay here for sure! lots of people are in 2 forums, one for specialty tanks like planted ones. for cichlids try www.cichlid-forum.com

TXCichlid
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
lol im kidding, i like this place. thanks for the site, ill check it out.

cocoa_pleco
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
no prob.

TXCichlid
09-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Well i got a better picture, if its ok to post the link its from another site. Here it is, it's the first picture of the fish. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/feeding_pike_cichlids.php