PDA

View Full Version : Boesmanni pH?

Amelia
06-03-2012, 03:47 AM
I have been considering a school of 8-10 Boesmanni Rainbows for my 70G with my Congo Tetras. I think the Congos and Boes would look striking together. I have a heavily planted tank which I feel would suit them very well.

My only issue: I'm aware that Boes prefer a more alkaline pH. My pH is a stable 6.5, which is quite acidic.

Would a school of Boes thrive in my aquarium or in your opinion is this just too much of a deviation from what they prefer? Most LFS here keep their water at 7 or slightly lower, so any I purchase should already be used to a lower pH. But is mine too low?

Thanks in advance. :fish: :goldfish:

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Can't say. I know they prefer 7-8 pH but you can easily raise your pH with some shells scrattered about if you wanted it a bit higher.

Amelia
06-03-2012, 04:10 AM
My current fish seem to be doing well in the acidic water and I think I'd rather leave it stable as it is than mess with it. Thanks though, Hobbs. :)

I'll have a talk to the guy at my LFS (actually a good fish store so I can trust the advice). If they're NZ-bred I assume they'll be more likely to adapt and cope. If they're imported from Indonesia I don't think I'll risk it.

DeadSulphurhead
06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
If they're NZ-bred I assume they'll be more likely to adapt and cope. If they're imported from Indonesia I don't think I'll risk it.

Good call. Mine thrive in 8.0.
If you do add them, make sure you have a good current with a power head.
Although, the congos probably won't like that.

Dewald
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
In my opinion,it is better to have a stable pH than the correct pH.

koaladarshana
07-29-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree with the above. A stable PH is definitely more important than a correct PH, and in my experience boesemanis are very hardy fish. Also 6.5 is not drastically lower than 7.0. I live in Southern California where the PH shoots somewhere around 7.8 and my tank-raised discus are more happy at this PH than when I tried to tamper with it using buffers... big mistake!

fishmommie
07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
+1 to the stable PH post. If your PH differs from you LFS, however, it will be best if you drip acclimate your rainbows to minimize the shock in the change of one PH to the other.

Love your fish choices, BTW. I plan to have Boesmannis and congos in my 90 when I finally get it up and running thumbs2:

bethyMT
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Just as an example, my pH got really low and the bosemans were fine. I think they are quite adaptable. This probably sounds terrible, but you may expect to lose one or two when they are new b/c they can't adapt, but the others will cope.

Overall, I have been very impressed with the toughness and beauty of rainbowfish. They have been able to survive with me as thier caretaker, which says a lot!