PDA

View Full Version : rainbow fish swimming funny

angelfishnooob
06-03-2012, 12:13 AM
In my 29gal tank I have a rainbow fish and for a few months now he has been swimming straight up and he never stops even at night he swims constantly. Someone said he is stressed out thats why he swims like that and that I should put aquarium salt in the tank to help him but it never did anything and I just feel bad for the little guy. Everyone in my house said he was going to die soon but he eats a ton in the morning and it staying strong. Anyone know what is wrong with him and what I can do to help him swim regularly?

PhillipOrigami
06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't know much about deseases, but when something is swimming funny, it could be due to a swim bladder issue.

angelfishnooob
06-03-2012, 12:22 AM
whats a swim bladder issue and how can I fix it and do you know how it is caused?

PhillipOrigami
06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
The swim bladder is a bladder that controls the depth and such that a fish swims.
I don't know much bout it, but you can perhaps do your own research perhaps search : Fish swimming vertically or such.

DeadSulphurhead
06-03-2012, 01:50 AM
If he has a strong appetite and hasn't shown any signs of decline, he may just be special...
It wouldn't hurt to look up swim bladder symptoms and see if any other signs are there.

MLBfan
06-03-2012, 02:03 AM
You could always try feeding him some peas (as described here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=84635)