PDA

View Full Version : how often do i give my pleco veggies???

Arkie
09-08-2007, 01:34 AM
i recently got given a baby sailfin pleco and was curious about how often do i feed it veggies (eg a piece of cooked pumpkin)? i put in a piece last night and the bristlenose have been eating it aswell. any info would be appreciated. thanks guys

Dave66
09-08-2007, 01:53 AM
I put veggies in every night. Plecos by nature are grazers, so they are wired to have food available to them always.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 01:56 AM
yep, daves got it. i used to breed plecos and i had 2 commons (large) and a clown one. i always put in 15 algae wafers a night and the ate them all in one sitting. theyre natural grazers

Arkie
09-08-2007, 02:52 AM
cool, thanks. ive noticed that my big brown bristlenose has been eating most of the day!

zackish
09-08-2007, 03:29 AM
I thought plecos eat wood? ahaha
I know I am suppose to supplement my otos with zuccini or w/e but I have never yet, especially now w all the algae I got in my tank.

Dave66
09-08-2007, 03:35 AM
I thought plecos eat wood? ahaha
I know I am suppose to supplement my otos with zuccini or w/e but I have never yet, especially now w all the algae I got in my tank.

You need to blanch (that is, briefly boil) the corgette to make it soft enough for the Otocinclus to eat. It's ready when the slices are slightly soft, not squishy.
Algae is one of the prime foods for Otocinclus.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 03:35 AM
plecos do eat wood! they like to nibble on driftwood! arkie, add some driftwood for the pleco, he'll thank you for it!

Dave66
09-08-2007, 03:42 AM
plecos do eat wood! they like to nibble on driftwood! arkie, add some driftwood for the pleco, he'll thank you for it!

CP,
Actually, they are after the biofilm on the wood. The true wood-eaters are of the Panaque genus. They are called canoe eaters in the Amazon.

Dave

zackish
09-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Dave, while your at it answer me this. How come I have such large amounts of algae in my tank all of a sudden ahhaa.
I have got my lights down to only 7 hours a day. A lot of green algae is growing on my Malaysian driftwood now. Is it just from building up over time or?.......

Dave66
09-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Dave, while your at it answer me this. How come I have such large amounts of algae in my tank all of a sudden ahhaa.
I have got my lights down to only 7 hours a day. A lot of green algae is growing on my Malaysian driftwood now. Is it just from building up over time or?.......

There are too many nutrients in your tank. It could be overfeeding, phosphate from your tap, sunshine part of the day, all kinds of things. Take detective work to find which one.
Algae-covered tank is an Otocinclus paradise.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 03:50 AM
i noticed that on my sandstone, lights on 7 hours a day and it built up. thats for clarifying the plecos/wood dave! thats my thing i learnt for the day!

Arkie
09-08-2007, 06:52 AM
ive already got two bits of wood in the tank and mr pleco just loves resting on one particular piece, the highest bit in the tank. probably survaying the surroundings and keeping guard!