PDA

View Full Version : Info on blue lobster

Cyberghost
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I went to petco yesterday to burn some time and saw they had some "blue lobsters" They were really bright blue and I liked them so I wanted to know If I can keep them in my current setup. I have a 55gal (not sure if its 50 or 55, but from what I can tell they're the same except the 55 is slightly taller) with 2 silver dollars about 2" long, 2 bala sharks about 2.5" long, and 2 angels about 1.75" from tip of mouth to base of tail. I've done some research and have found that theres multiple types of these crayfish, the Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster which stays smallish and some other that gets much larger.

I read mixed opinions about whether or not they can be kept with fish, some places say they're fish safe and not too aggressive, others say they eat everything they can catch. I want to know for sure, If I can keep the ones they have at petco. They are very bright blue, they are about 1.25" long total, including tails and claws. I want to know what species petco usually carries, the Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster or some other larger species. they cost $7 or $8.

I love the idea of keeping invertebrates, and these are some of the nicest freshwater ones I've ever seen. I have plants and caves, but the other websites recommend sand or fine gravel, I have standard gravel made up of smallish smooth rocks.

Also, I know how many animal lovers feel about petco, and not to be rude, but I don't want to know your opinions about this store, I've heard it all before. lets keep the topic about the particular crayfish they sell at petco please.thumbs2:

I forgot to mention, theres also a 2.5" common plecostomous and a 6" chinese algae eater. My biggest concern were the angelfish, slow moving with their long enticing fins. Then theres the chinese algae eater and pleco that claim all the caves as theirs. The plants are all plastic, no real ones because they get eaten over night.

rmiller
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey, I see nothing wrong with petco or petsmart as long as you know that it is not common to find a well informed associate their. Make sure you do your research like you are here.

By chance did you happen to catch the scientific name for this lobster? Each store will carry a different selection even within the same town. If you get a chance, take pen and paper with you and jot down the scientific and common names they have listed for it. From there it will be much easier for is to help you.

Cyberghost
06-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Hey, I see nothing wrong with petco or petsmart as long as you know that it is not common to find a well informed associate their. Make sure you do your research like you are here.

By chance did you happen to catch the scientific name for this lobster? Each store will carry a different selection even within the same town. If you get a chance, take pen and paper with you and jot down the scientific and common names they have listed for it. From there it will be much easier for is to help you.

There was no info on this particular animal. on the price tag it just said "blue lobster" and underneath that where the info usually is, it just said "A petco associate blah blah blah..."

rmiller
06-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Hmmm... Makes it tough to ensure you get the right info for that particular animal. Could you call and ask if they know the name of it. Just let them know that you want to ensure that you have proper housing and knowledge of care before you purchase it. I'm sure they have a way to look it up on their shipping list or something.

DeadSulphurhead
06-02-2012, 08:23 PM

A well-informed associate is the least of your worries when buying livestock from there...

Petsmarts around here don't even label scientific names, so I doubt they have it elsewhere in their system.
I've seen them use names that aren't even common names for a particular species.

Cyberghost
06-06-2012, 05:09 AM
I went back today and found that they call it an "asian blue lobster". So, opinions? can I keep it? should I try it out, keeping an eye on it? or is it a bad idea?

LaurenAllyson
06-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Did you happen to check these out?

http://www.petco.com/caresheets/fish/CrayfishBlue.pdf

there is another link from petco for a spiny blue lobster.. but the link was not working so I googled it and its coming up a marine fish.. so hopefully its the first guy.

LaurenAllyson
06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
ohh dang didn't see your post sorry.

Taurus
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Good point. It is the potential fish\crayfish owner's responsibility to do research first before any purchases are made, IMHO.

The crayfish probably should be in a species only tank.

Stlouisfish
06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I went to petco yesterday to burn some time and saw they had some "blue lobsters" They were really bright blue and I liked them so I wanted to know If I can keep them in my current setup. I have a 55gal (not sure if its 50 or 55, but from what I can tell they're the same except the 55 is slightly taller) with 2 silver dollars about 2" long, 2 bala sharks about 2.5" long, and 2 angels about 1.75" from tip of mouth to base of tail. I've done some research and have found that theres multiple types of these crayfish, the Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster which stays smallish and some other that gets much larger.

I love the idea of keeping invertebrates, and these are some of the nicest freshwater ones I've ever seen. I have plants and caves, but the other websites recommend sand or fine gravel, I have standard gravel made up of smallish smooth rocks.

I forgot to mention, theres also a 2.5" common plecostomous and a 6" chinese algae eater. My biggest concern were the angelfish, slow moving with their long enticing fins. Then theres the chinese algae eater and pleco that claim all the caves as theirs. The plants are all plastic, no real ones because they get eaten over night.
Honestly, from what I read myself in articles I googled, your more aggressive fish will make a meal out of one and they shouldn't be housed with bottom dwellers like the pleco.

If you like invertebrates, get a few larger shrimp like amano or bamboo - their colors might not be as nice but they're pretty active in a tank and don't hide like a crawfish/lobster would.

Cyberghost
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Ok so no blue lobster for me :goldfish: oh well. I tried crabs before but I didnt know they needed to be able to get above the water line so all 3 were dead within 2 weeks... (blush) now I do research BEFORE a purchase

Stlouisfish
06-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Just like you'd never get a dog or cat without preparing for it (different breeds have different needs), it's just as important to do the same for our water-based friends - we can't just buy things because they look pretty in the store and then realize we don't know the 1st thing about caring for them.