PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Gar: Beautiful and smart

gamelovers11223
05-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi guys. For a month now I have a 9,25" spotted gar in my tank. For the first few day it was a little timid but swimming and eating normally. I feed him some feeder fish and trained him to eat from my hands some frozen chicken. Also he eats tropical flakes, to my surprise, I feed my gouramis. Gar is definately not aggressive toward my gouramis and a 7.5" Striped Raphael catfish.
I am super happy that I got him. Thanks, just wanted to share.

Crispy
05-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I would avoid chicken and feed raw shrimp, prawn, and fish fillet. once he is eating that, I would get him off feeders also. they can introduce disease and parasites to your tank. your gar is still a baby and has alot of growing to do. best of luck with him! :22:

gamelovers11223
05-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks. I'll get some shrimps and fish fillet for him. Any fish in particular is better?
Here is a video of my gar eating.
http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy219/gamelovers11223/?action=view&current=IMG_0170.mp4

Old Marine
05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
That is a nice looking Gar, Thank you for sharing!

ScottishFish
05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
You seem to have a few gourami in there, no aggression issues?

What size tank is it?

gamelovers11223
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I have totall of 7 gouramis and a 7" Striped Raphael Catfish sharing space with gar. Absolutely positively NO aggression whatsoever. Sometimes on le of gouramis would brush up on gar, a 7" golden one in particular - they are best friends now, swimming and hanging out together.
It a temporary 29gal tank, I'm in the process of setting up my 55gal.

ScottishFish
05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
I find it very hard to believe you have all that stock in a 29G with no issues

gamelovers11223
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Yep! Everyone is healthy. I do weekly water changes, plus I have two filters up to 80 gal filtration. I am waiting on delivery of Rena XP4 canister and a 55 gal tank will be in this week.
All gouramis and raphael were raised from 2" in that 29.

-Alex-
05-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Yep! Everyone is healthy.

They might be healthy at the moment... but thats not the point.

That gar can probably reach about 10-15" in its first year, they get massive.

even if your upgrading to a 55gal it isnt big enough even for a growout tank.

Demjor19
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
You will eventually have issues with that mix of fish. Florida/Spotted Gars are not really aggressive...But he will eventually think he can make a meal out of them...And will try to do so. Just don't be surprised when it happens. Gars are predators...That means they eat other fish.

BTW...Skip the 55 and get a 75 gallon. A 55 is a 12" wide tank...pointless for a Gar. They need the turning space and a 75 will actually hold the gar for quite a while.

gamelovers11223
05-29-2012, 06:01 PM
You will eventually have issues with that mix of fish. Florida/Spotted Gars are not really aggressive...But he will eventually think he can make a meal out of them...And will try to do so. Just don't be surprised when it happens. Gars are predators...That means they eat other fish.

BTW...Skip the 55 and get a 75 gallon. A 55 is a 12" wide tank...pointless for a Gar. They need the turning space and a 75 will actually hold the gar for quite a while.

Thanks for advice. Almost all gouramis are 6.5" and more. Could my gar really eat them?
As for tank, I just could not pass up an opportunity to get a 55 gal, stand, light and filter for $29. I want a 6' x 2' tank in the future.

Demjor19
05-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for advice. Almost all gouramis are 6.5" and more. Could my gar really eat them?
As for tank, I just could not pass up an opportunity to get a 55 gal, stand, light and filter for $29. I want a 6' x 2' tank in the future.

What species are your Gouramis? I'm at work and am unable to watch the vid. Florida/Spotted Gar are one of the more docile Gars, but they are still a fish that can reach 18" easily. Even if they can't "eat" the fish....There is little stopping them from trying.

You're fine with getting the 55 gallon, but the fish will likely outgrow it in a year or less.

gamelovers11223
05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
What species are your Gouramis? I'm at work and am unable to watch the vid. Florida/Spotted Gar are one of the more docile Gars, but they are still a fish that can reach 18" easily. Even if they can't "eat" the fish....There is little stopping them from trying.

You're fine with getting the 55 gallon, but the fish will likely outgrow it in a year or less.

I have 3 golden gourami: one 5.5", one 6.5" and a 7"+ one. Three more are opaline: one 5", one 6" and one 7"+. There is also one dwarf neon almost 3" gourami.
Hopefully within that year I'll upgrade to a substantially larger tank.

gamelovers11223
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

I have 3 golden gourami: one 5.5", one 6.5" and a 7"+ one. Three more are opaline: one 5", one 6" and one 7"+. There is also one dwarf neon almost 3" gourami.
Hopefully within that year I'll upgrade to a substantially larger tank.