PDA

View Full Version : New to the community-Hello and HELP!!

Little Mermaid
05-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi all,

I have just started out in the world of aquatics and here is what I have so far.....

3g tank x 2 (1 Betta in each).

10g tank with..3 Dwarf Coral Platys (1male 2females), 6 Cherry Barbs (2males 4 females), 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Rainbow shark, 1 Albino Rainbow Shark.
To be honest, the sharks are really not working out well at all, I only added them yesterday and the Petshop person advised they were the 'nice' sharks to have and should live as a pair as they like their own kind. Hmmmm, this is not how it seems in my tank. The Rainbow slipped into my tank and immediately booted the Barbs out of the enchanted castle and took up residence!!!! He now harasses and chases the Albino Rainbow shark at every opportunity and anything else that comes near :-( Petshop have agreed to take the sharks back in exchange for something else. Do I keep the seemingly peaceful Albino or take them both back?? What do I have instead? More Cherries or Platys or another Pleco or some Guppys? I really am not sure. The 3 Rasboras seem very 'lost' in the tank and stay in the centre and just hover. They don't seem very happy. I read tonight that Rasboras should be kept in larger groups, at least 8 of them. My 10g isn't big enough with everything else in it. I think the Rasboras may be going back to the petshop too tomorrow.

I have tried to keep African Dwarf Frogs seperately and with the community (prior sharks) and also the Bettas. 6 of the 7 frogs have died of unknown causes and the 7th is on his way to heaven as I write this. The Petshop had no advice to give me other than 'Oh well, they are only frogs'. I have tested the water for the frogs and ammonia and nitrite levels all fine. Frogs never appeared to look ill or bloated or 'red legged' and I was careful not to overfeed. Regular water changes too. They were all fine then one by one they all got lethargic and floated to the top of the tank and eventually died.

Well, this is a very steep learning curve and I WISH I had done my own research beforehand instead of relying on the Petshop advisors for everything. Most important thing now is to try and fix the errors and make my fishy friends happy. As for the frogs, I am still at a loss and may wait awhile before trying to keep them again, any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance and I am so glad and relieved to have found this site!!

ScottishFish
05-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the forum :22: this is the introductory section, if you decide what questions you have then post them in the correct areas 'are my tanks fully stocked' - general forum, 'are my platys pregnant' - livebearers section.

~Col~
05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Welcome to AC!!

I would take the sharks back to the shop ASAP. They aren't suitable for a 10g tank and can be quite aggressive. They also grow up to 6 inches so they will really be too big for your tank.

I'd also take back your rasboras. As you said they need a bigger school and you can't do that with your current stocking.

As for replacements for your sharks. You could add another pleco or even 6 khuli loaches. They are both pretty good clean up crews.

Unfortunately I can't advise you about your frogs. When you say that the ammonia & nitrIte levels are fine, does that mean they are zero?

Good luck!!

gadget228
05-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Indian Woods Angels
05-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Too many fish in a 10 gallon tank. Return the sharks and get nothing else.

One cubic inch of fish per gallon is the rule I live by. A one inch fish equals one cubic inch. A 4x4 inch fish equals 8. If it is 2" wide it is 16.

Old Marine
05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the Family!

Cermet
05-26-2012, 01:48 PM
My post vanished!

Oh well, here is the short of my orginal answer. I feel that the most likely reason the frogs died was due to ammonia waste - that many creatures suddenly added to a 3 gal tank (even a ten would be too much) overwhelmed the filter. You need to check water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates) every day. I am wondering, is your current tank fully cycled and/or is it ovewwhelmed? What are the ammonia/nitrite readings? How often and what volume do you change the water in the tanks? :11:

Rue
05-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome aboard!thumbs2:

You might get more info if you post shorter questions in the appropriate categories, vs. in the intro section!

Little Mermaid
05-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh my goodness! Firstly apologies, not only new to aquatics but also to forums, hence putting things in the wrong place :-( As for the length of my intro post, I think I was overwhelmed with the stress of dying frogs and bad tempered sharks. I shall do better in future.

Thank you for your welcomes, much appreciated. I have posted my latest update in the beginners freshwater forum. Thanks for all the advice and tips and hopefully after tonights visits to the petshop, my fish and I will all be calmer and happier :-)

escamosa
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Welcome to AC! :22:

leaveittoweaver
05-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Welcome to AC!

I've also read that the frogs really need to be fed with tweezers or something of a sort because the other fish get to the food before them. So maybe they simply aren't getting enough to eat?

Cyberra
05-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Welcome to the community

MrMcKenna
05-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the community!

SMcGrath
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the AC! :goldfish:

Fish_Girl
05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Welcome. Sorry about your frogs. :scry: