PDA

View Full Version : 75g planted tank

hpt84
05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I got 3 aquariums off craiglist last night. I believe there are 2 29g and 1 75g. I currently already have 1 10g, 1 20g and 1 55g. So my recently married wife is rethinking her vow. The tanks were saltwater and have been sitting around for a while. The first task is to clean everything and build a stand. I'm going to pressure wash all the aquarium with an electric pressure washer with max psi of 1600. If that doesn't work, then I'll get pick up a gallon of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, because I'm broke. I uploaded picture of everything I received from this deal.

metal-otaku
05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
mild dish soap and a magic eraser and elbow grease can go a long way.... you don't need acid, or a pressure washer. though a pressure washer would be fast i'm sure.

hpt84
05-26-2012, 06:02 PM
mild dish soap and a magic eraser and elbow grease can go a long way.... you don't need acid, or a pressure washer. though a pressure washer would be fast i'm sure.
Soap and elbow grease always work for me, but if you have a pressure washer, then it is 10x easier and faster. This is my first time cleaning a saltwater tank, so I though muriatic (hydrochloric) acid might be necessary due to all the deposit. Plus with the acid I wouldn't have to worry about detergent residue. I pressure washed all three tanks. Most of the deposit are removed but the glass isn't as clean as I want it to be. I plan on picking up some cleaner later.

hpt84
05-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm trying to design a stand that will hold all three tanks in my garage. Here is what I have so far. Columns are 4x4x48in. Cross members are 1x3x24. I'm using 1/2 plywood for stand top. The total dimension of the stand is 8ft long by 4ft tall by 2 ft deep. I'm trying to minimized cost by using 1/2 plywood and 1x3 cross members. Both 29g will be resting on cross members. 75g will be resting on columns. Do you think this is sufficient support?

PhillipOrigami
05-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I can't say much, but how did you get that drawing? I need something like that...
MTS will fill in that blank spot eh?

hpt84
05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I can't say much, but how did you get that drawing? I need something like that...
MTS will fill in that blank spot eh?
I made that drawing using SolidEdge which is a CAD/CAM (Computer-aided design/Computer-aided manufacturing) software. It is something that I learned how to use in college. Took me close to an hour to model all the part and assemble it, but I don't know how else to draw it beside paint:hmm3grin2orange:

Northerly
05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
the only thing i would change about the stand is i would put the 75 on top in the middle, with some beefed up supports underneath it. other than that it looks seems plausible to me.

DylanisHawttt
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
the only thing i would change about the stand is i would put the 75 on top in the middle, with some beefed up supports underneath it. other than that it looks seems plausible to me.

That's what I was thinking also, because now it's very left side heavy and the 75g will weigh as much/if not more than both those 29gs so you would want to make sure the supports underneath the 75g are extremely strong. That's all you need is 3 broken tanks because the supports gave out :scry:

kross
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to design a stand that will hold all three tanks in my garage.

How hot does your garage get in the summer? When I lived in Florida, our garage would get close to 100 degrees. Too hot for fish, unless you also put a chiller in the water, or air condition the garage.

hpt84
05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
How hot does your garage get in the summer? When I lived in Florida, our garage would get close to 100 degrees. Too hot for fish, unless you also put a chiller in the water, or air condition the garage.
Max out at 85F. It is hotter than I would like it to be, but I think the fish will be fine.

hpt84
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I've been busy lately. I finally got the stand built. Right now the 75g is on the left side. I will move it to the middle like others have recommended. The next step is to leak test all tanks. I also brought a full co2 cylinder with regulator from a restaurant owner. He doesn't know the weight of the cylinder. The cylinder is roughly 8 inches by 23 inches. By picture comparison it looks bigger than a 5lbs, so maybe 10lbs or 20lbs?