PDA

View Full Version : Filtration for a small pond?

Northerly
05-15-2012, 01:20 AM
not sure of how many gallons, but its half of a barrel. any suggestions on what kind of (cheap) filter i could set up for it? maybe a canister type? or something similiar. DIY is an option. just wanna get it up and runnign for my mom so she can put some more koi fish in it.

Crispy
05-15-2012, 01:47 AM
if it is above ground, you could do a canister. in-ground I would get a small pump and build a small trickle tower. you can build them out of anything (plastic drawers, flowerbed trays, etc). that size pond won't need much, you might even be able to get away with some good plant filtration.

Northerly
05-15-2012, 02:10 AM
hmmm simple is good, what would i need to build it out of a plastic drawer? would it be something along the lines of a sump? or just an suction line/output line with some media in between?

it sits on my deck by the way

Crispy
05-15-2012, 02:14 AM
basically you get a small set of clear plastic drawers, drill lots of holes in the bottoms of the drawers so water can flow through. attach a small pumps return line onto the top of the drawers, fill them with media, and you have a trickle filter. small bucket filters may work well too. google DIY trickle tower, and DIY bucket filter to see which one you think would work best for you. they both work great for your application.

cuckoochews
05-15-2012, 02:53 AM
I did a half barrel "pond" on my patio for many years... All I used as filtration was a power head submerged to the bottom w/ a block of black foam plugged over the intake. Worked great and was nearly invisible at the bottom of the black barrel. That, plus a handful of plants.
Just a side note... I only had koi (3 little butterfly koi) in it the first season, due to the fact that when I wintered them inside in a 55g they got too big to put back in the 25ish gallon half barrel the following year. What really worked out after that was the trade in at the lfs. I oppted for a bunch of brightly colored fancy guppies. Put them in that year and by seasons end there were so many I was giving them away! They must of really enjoyed the floating plants and the mosquito larvae! For years I just carried the whole thing into the basement for the winter. Plants never made it through the winter but the guppies couldn't wait to get back outside! :fish2:

Northerly
05-15-2012, 03:07 AM
so a powerhead with a block of filter foam is sufficient? for some reason my mom thought that the one we had in there wasnt enough and had asked me to research something a little more substantial.

cuckoochews
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Was it cycled? Perimeters all correct? 1/2 a barrel is kinda small and koi are big and "poopy"... You mentioned she wanted to add more, how many are in it now? These tubs are small, probably only 25 gallons. When I switched it over to guppies, feeding became much less, as they would munch on all the natural stuff in there. Water was clear and ammonia free.

Northerly
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
its not set up right now. what about some goldfish to put in there? smaller than kois but still kinda of messy. i heard they do fine in ponds.

cuckoochews
05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Yes, like koi, goldfish are also messy and do well in ponds... But this is a container, not a pond. It will need regular water changes and due to the sun and heat (1/2 barrels heat up fast outside as well as cool down fast at night) be prone to outbreaks of green water, surface algae and disease. Mine was on a covered patio and easily hit 90 degrees in the day here in New Jersey. The guppies maintained good health, but the water perimeters were spot on. If that were a 25 gallon aquarium in a controlled atmosphere, the books all say " 1 goldfish for the first 20 gallons and 1 additional goldfish for every 10 gallons after that" . So if your mom keeps the water perfect in there, she's good for 1 and a 1/2 goldfish in that tub. :hmm3grin2orange:

Northerly
05-16-2012, 01:23 AM
hahaha maybe i should steer her towards some nice pond plants instead:p

dbosman
05-16-2012, 08:27 PM
An air driven or power head driven sponge filter will do for small ponds that aren't over loaded with fish. Lots of folks summer live bearers or egg layers in small ponds. One pet store owner I met stocks shrimp in water only decorative ponds. They do fall shut downs and move thousands of free shrimp back to the store.

RainbowDragon28
06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
you could also try mosquito fish. they are the easiest to take care of and great pest control, and prolific breeders.