PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on cichlids to get

Snowwolfjd
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Hello, I am just about done cycling my 55gal tank and I am just looking for suggestions on which cichlids to get.

Requirements are that they need to be somewhat aggressive, and grow to approx 5"max so that I can have a few fish not just 1 or 2.

Also would like a suggestion on a pleco/catfish of similar size.

The reason for somewhat aggressive is my wife has a tank at school for well over a year now with 2 Jack Dempseys and a similar sized turtle and they are completly fine together. She just makes sure to keep plenty of small feeder fish around to give them something to chase/eat...

I would perfer not to have a small turtle but she just got a liitle one donated at the end of last semester which she brought home in a 10 gal.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
how about a pair of blood parrots and a clown pleco or a pair of severums and a clown pleco?

Fishguy2727
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
African cichlids can do well with turtles. They are fast, aggressive, and the perfect size for what you are looking for. And if you get mbunas, they will eat algae for you.

Snowwolfjd
09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
African cichlids can do well with turtles. They are fast, aggressive, and the perfect size for what you are looking for. And if you get mbunas, they will eat algae for you.

Ok so if I go for african cichlids how many should I get for a 55gal and how will the turtle do with the high ph levels.

Also the current decorations in the tank are a Large fake driftwood and a small cave.

I do have some white coral type stones that came with the tank and they were used for fresh water. I have seen them at the stores and will have to get the real name of what they are tonight to clarify..

Fishguy2727
09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Don't use dead coral or any other rough rocks with fish, they always seem to scrape them eventually.

The pH does not really affect turtles, at least not most of them. What species fo turtle is this?

How full is the tank going to be? That will have an impact on how many fish.
What filtration?
What water change schedule?

In general you could do two or three groups (one male, two to three females) in a 55.

Snowwolfjd
09-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Don't use dead coral or any other rough rocks with fish, they always seem to scrape them eventually. oK

The pH does not really affect turtles, at least not most of them. What species fo turtle is this? Painted currently about 3inches

How full is the tank going to be? That will have an impact on how many fish. 3/4 full there will be a floating turtle dock under a 75watt uv bulb

What filtration? Ac 300, Cascade 700 canister, ac401powehead(could add a sponge to this)

What water change schedule? not sure yet

In general you could do two or three groups (one male, two to three females) in a 55.

I like the looks of the Mbunas I see online plus I looked at some of your pics so its definately the way I would like to go.

Fishguy2727
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
What is the total that those filters are rated for? (How many gallons do they claim to handle?) I would not count the powerhead as filtration, but it is good for circulation.

Snowwolfjd
09-06-2007, 12:59 PM
The aquaclear 300 is rated for a 70g tank and flows at 300 gph and the cascade 700 is rated for a 65g tank and flows at 185 gph. I know these ratings are never true but these should be enough for the tank.

Also if someone wants to move this over to the lake malawi forum that would be great since that is were it seems I am going

Fishguy2727
09-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Should be enough filtration, at least for a while. And the powerhead will help keep things moving.

Nick89
09-08-2007, 01:32 AM
You should go with an Electric Blue Dempsey, or a pair and call it a day.

-AK

YaYgoldFish
09-08-2007, 04:33 AM

-AK

Those get 9 inches at full lenght tho, hes looking for something a little smaller.

Snowwolfjd
09-09-2007, 12:58 AM

-AK

My wife already has a pair of Dempseys in her tank at work and doesn't want them at home as well. But thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Nick89
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
No problem, well since you're looking for around 5''. Why not go with 3 or if you can more Firemouths? very pretty fish and they arent exactly wimps either. They look cool when they try to look tough, you can seem them flare up under there neck with red. Kinda cool.

-AK

TowBoater
09-09-2007, 02:39 AM
About 4-5 Firemouths would be cool.