PDA

View Full Version : Fin rot

Nick_Pavlovski
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, I came home tonight and the webbing in between the "spikes" of part of Courtier's bottom fin was missing...making it look like part of the bottom fin was a couple of hairs.

He'd had a small hole in that fin for over week, but it wasn't getting bigger or smaller.

I had some leftover Tri-Sulfa, so I put a dose in...
for Tri-Sulfa, see http://www.aristopet.com.au/Library/Downloads/Downloadable%20pdf%20files/Product%20Info%20Sheets/AM77%20Tri-Sulpha%20INFO.pdf

I hope all will go well...

Any other help would be much appreciated.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 01:42 PM
just keep the water really clean. that way the bacteria that cause the rot cant survive

Nick_Pavlovski
09-05-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm doing weekly 25% changes - might do them twice a week instead.
The Panda Corys are unaffected.

SkarloeysMom
09-06-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm doing weekly 25% changes - might do them twice a week instead.
The Panda Corys are unaffected.

You might want to change out more water, like 50% twice a week. You really need to keep the water really clean when they have fin rot. If you don't see signs of regrowth pretty quick with the meds you're using you might try Maracyn-2 or Jungle Fungus Clear. I used both of those on Skarloey when he had fin rot. Couldn't tell you which one cured the fin rot but one of them did.

gm72
09-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Be cautious using meds with corys, they are more sensitive than other fish.

Lady Hobbs
09-06-2007, 02:25 AM
You might want to change out more water, like 50% twice a week. You really need to keep the water really clean when they have fin rot. If you don't see signs of regrowth pretty quick with the meds you're using you might try Maracyn-2 or Jungle Fungus Clear. I used both of those on Skarloey when he had fin rot. Couldn't tell you which one cured the fin rot but one of them did.

I agree with SkarloeysMom. 25% water changes are really nothing very beneficial so instead of doing two unbeneficial water changes why not do one that really matters.

Nick_Pavlovski
09-06-2007, 04:03 AM
OK, I can do one tomorrow evening and probably another one monday-tuesday, at about 40%.

Oh, and yes, I'm keeping a good eye on the Corys.

Nick_Pavlovski
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
He's still cheerful and busy, which is a good thing. Another water change tomorrow.

gm72
09-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Keep up the good work, sounds like you are on the right track!

Nick_Pavlovski
09-09-2007, 08:01 AM
A little bit of fin is growing back.

Gonna do a couple more more water changes over the next 4 days, then go back to normal weekly changes.