PDA

View Full Version : The Pond~ An Adventure Into the Unknown!

Cecile1
05-13-2012, 02:49 AM
So I've finally convinced my parents to set up a pond in the front garden area of my family homestead, and with that said, after 12 hours of work, all but the canister filter is up an running.

I am looking for advice on my layout and if my possible stocking of 2 fancy goldfish will be alright once cycled ( I will have media donated from a friends tank- will it suffice?).

The specs, 6x4x2ish, and was thinking of using an Fluval 303 canister filter. First off, will the canister do the job, its rated at 130 gal an hour, and after the pond has been cycled, would two goldfish be reasonable?

My folks plan on keeping the goldies in an tank as New England winters can be quite harsh, and the pond not that deep.

Anyway, Im looking in for some imput on any possible improvements in the scheme. Thanks all.

Crispy
05-13-2012, 04:05 AM
most canisters are not good for ponds because they are made to sit well below the waterline. some are specially made for ponds and are not bad. most commercial pond canisters lack alot of media space though. fluvals are not made for ponds.personally I like getting a good pump and building a simple garbage pail filter. it's just a scaled up bucket filter. cheap, simple, and customizable to your needs. aeonflame posted a great thread on a bucket filter build. not sure how handy you may be, but it's worth a look. a real easy project that will rival the best canisters you can buy for a pond IMO.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60394

and here is my scaled up version using a garbage pail. lots of room for media.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=91587

Cecile1
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks Crispy! I will look into the "bucket" filter, this maybe easier to run longterm!

Crispy
05-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks Crispy! I will look into the "bucket" filter, this maybe easier to run longterm!

it will definitely be easier. they are so simple to build and maintain. :22:

RainbowDragon28
06-07-2012, 03:05 AM
You can always just buy a submersible pump and make your own filter out of a large flower pot. It's what I've been using.

Tiari
06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
+1 to DIY. My husband just finished making a filter for our pond out of a dollar store rubbermaid container, and pond pump!

Cecile1
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I should post up a pic soon, its really turned out nice and the new arrivals seem to be doing well.

DeadSulphurhead
06-09-2012, 07:46 PM
What did you end up using as a pump/filter? I strongly recommend against the use of indoor canisters.
+2 for DIY, just buy the pump, and use something like a pot or tub for the filter, being custom, it will be a lot easier to hide and work into your lay out. $20 instead of 200

rmiller
06-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Your pond is nearly 360 gallons. You could have several goldies in there during the warm months. The down fall comes with over wintering, you'll have to make sure you have lots of free tank space.

Another tip. Be sure to have lots of floating plants and or a net to keep slower moving fancies protected.

DeadSulphurhead
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I am a little disappointed that after 12 hours it's only 2 feet deep lol Really limit yourself with stocking. Even 3' makes overwintering much much easier.

smaug
06-09-2012, 09:43 PM
3 ft is great,2 ft is fine even in CT. Just keep water movement enough to keep the ice off in some areas. It doesnt need to be a hole,just a few areas where the water has contact with air. Leave the fish in the pond,in all my years of keeping ponds I have never had a winter kill,even when I had only the 18 inch deep 150 gallon.

Cecile1
06-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Well this thread has gotten a bit busy!

I'll try to address some if all questions:

I am currently using a canister filter-it seems to work like a charm-the four, 2 inch goldies are doing well, and haven't had a problem-so far.

I am however going to make a small garbage can filter as suggested, for ease of care and reliability- at the moment- as soon as work slows down, I can dedicate a weekend to making one. I also had this canister laying around, as my brother raised /bred saltwater, and has since not needed the filter.

In terms of the fish- I am sticking to a small stocking- I like it nice and simple at the moment. The fish are pond goldfish, no fancies for me! I currently have coverings, a couple of jennyworts, floating bulby thingys, a big something or other and a tropical lilly- I'll post pics with this post. If anyone can identify them, it would be much appreciated!

As for the remark as I only did 2 feet is that I live in the east coast where it is very rocky, and where my house is, the developer in the 60's bought farmland, scraped all of the topsoil off, down to clay and then planted some grass. Needless to say, here even if you want to plant something, or even put a fence in you need electric machinery to be able to dig- so I think by all things considered I think I may have done a good job-anyway I am happy with the way it came out.

Thanks all!

Thanks smaug! I was feeling a little bristled....

rmiller
06-10-2012, 02:01 AM
It looks great. Very well scaped and a great placement among the existing landscape. I really hope you will journal your bucket filter build for us. I really enjoy seeing all the pond builds and seasonal restarts going on right now. I hope to follow suite next spring.

smaug
06-10-2012, 02:10 AM
The bulby looking plants are hyacynths the other floaters look to be water lettuce. Have the lily plants made it through a winter in your pond?

Cecile1
06-10-2012, 02:39 AM
I just set up the pond, so I hope the lillys make it through a winter- I'll ask the guy I bought it from if I need to bring it in or if I can leave it out. It did say on the tag it was tropical... I will need to investigate further!

smaug
06-10-2012, 12:07 PM
If its tropical it needs to brought in. From the looks of the leaf edges [raggedy and sharp] I agree its a tropical. I have never kept a tropical so cant attest to that being true or not. I have read how to do it though. Remove the lily when all the leaves have died off,place the pot in a bucket of water deep enough to cover the rhizomes by a few inches,cover loosly with a garbage bag and place entire thing in a basement or other place that will stay above 45 deg f . Place back out side in pond when water temps reach and stay above 50 deg.