PDA

View Full Version : Cant kick the ich...

Mcnitchell
05-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I have had a bad case of Ich for the last few weeks. All of my fish seem to have gotten rid of it and are acting normal except for one fish! My Tiger Barb cant seem to kick it! He is still spotted on his fins. I have doing treatment daily using Rid Ich for 3 weeks now with water changes every 5 days or so. I am afraid of my other fish getting sick from this ongoing treatment.

Any advise?

Tiari
05-13-2012, 03:22 AM
Continue with your course of treatment, until all spots are gone from all fish, and then wait a week thereafter to discontinue medication. That is, one week after the last spot is gone.

Though you are worried for your other fish, discontinuing medication while one is still infested, will cause a break out to re-occur in the tank. Ich is deadly, and will ultimately kill your fish if the treatment is not successfully completed and the parasite eradicated.

Stlouisfish
05-13-2012, 03:58 AM
I've read it's important to vacuum your gravel really well when you change your water because it's the babies that reproduce in the gravel that look for another host fish - you want to get rid of them before they can hop on a fish - that's actually the time that meds are effective - killing those baby parasites in the substrate.