PDA

View Full Version : moor with ripped fins

Arkie
09-05-2007, 03:53 AM
ive just noticed that my panda moor has ripped fins (from being nipped from other fish, it is now in a tank with my other black moor "gympie"), and i was wondering if there is anything that i can feed it or do to help speed the up process of the fins healing?

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:55 AM
if they have melafix and pimafix in australia, do that, if not add some salt or another anti-bacterial med to prevent disease. and most of all, clean water! clean water keeps it from getting infected

Bodhi
09-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Have you added aquarium salt to the tank? 1 tbsp to every 5 gallons ought to help speed up healing as it helps the fish to regulate it's own osmotic pressure. It also stimulates the slime coat.

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:02 AM
is it a special type of salt? sorry to ask a dumb question hey.......... and ill look for that medication tomorrow. and yeah the waters clean but should i do a 25% water change every day or so?

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:04 AM
oh hey i just found a bottle of melafix in a box of fish stuff i got of my bf like a week ago, but the expirary date was in march this year, is it still alright to use?

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 04:09 AM
you can use aquarium salt. if its only march it should be alright, may be a bit weak.

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:11 AM
can i use melafix and salt together? and also you get aquarium salt from the pet shop yeah???

Juannie
09-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi Arkie, I've used aquarium & epsom salts on my goldies (incl black moor) and also both melafix & pimafix together they all work really really well and the fish seem a lot healthier afterwards. Most local fish stores will stock the salts and they're pretty cheap.

A curiosity question, what are you feeding your goldies? I used to feed them "whatever" but now I've spent a bit more money & purcahsed Hikari & New Life Spectrum, I don't have anywhere near as much waste, tank is cleaner, fish look fantastic and they heal faster when sick and they don't seem to be eating anywhere near as much. There is a place in NSW that I was getting my Hikari online from and they were pretty good prices.

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:54 AM
i was feeding them "friskies gold fish flakes" some crap i got at the supermarket but at the moment theyre eating "tetramin" flakes??? dont know much bout it actually my bf got it from the pet shop he works at. wheres the place you get your flakes from?

Juannie
09-06-2007, 05:45 AM
I actually get my stuff from Aquatic Community which is online here's the link

http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/default.html?lang=en-uk&target=d315.html

That is the Hikari Bio Gold and I also mix it up with Hikari Gold Baby Pellet - these two packets have lasted me over 6months and I feed twice a day, occassionally they get frozen blood worm & shrimp pellets, peeled peas (just from frozen one's) and cooked & cut up zucchinni pieces which they love.

I just got New Life Spectrum pellets for $13.50 on ebay 225g http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140142408573 hopefully this link works - it's a bargain.

It seems a lot but my fish are massive quite big and I've had them for years. I like to give them really good variety. I used to feed just cheap flake from the LFS but it's not worth the mess & their health.

Arkie
09-06-2007, 07:31 AM
thanks juannie, great links, ive ordered some new food and hopefully my fishies like it.
update on the panda moor, although he/she hasnt improved any( its only been a day!!!), he hasnt gotten any worse. im using the melafix, and doing regular water changes. he is still actively swimming around the tank and eating so im sure he should recover well. thanks for all your help. :22:

Juannie
09-10-2007, 05:22 AM
No probs at all, hopefully in the next few days he'll pick up and start feeling beta.:11:

Juannie
09-10-2007, 05:22 AM
No probs at all, hopefully in the next few days he'll pick up and start feeling beta.:11:, let us know how he goes.