PDA

View Full Version : Strange Deaths

Pleco380
05-11-2012, 06:16 AM
About a month ago one of my black phantom tetras died. She was the smallest one. Just today a Cory had a huge gash on his side which was partly covered in fungus. He died. My only guess is that the pleco could be doing this? I've never had a pleco do anything like this before. I had a water test a few days ago. Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 5, and PH was 7.2. What's going on here? Some of my plants are also getting holes in their leaves. I fertilized them but it made no difference. I have several ghost shrimp. Could they be responsible? What is going on?! My tank is suddenly chaos!

Cliff
05-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Do you have drift wood or something like that in the tank which your corey could have accidently scrapped or cut himself on?

That could explain what happened to your corey.

Pleco380
05-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Yes there is driftwood. Unfortunately I put gravel in before I thought about stocking the tank so it's not exactly ideal for cories. Should I wait a few days and if nothing else happens add a new Cory and tetra?

Cliff
05-11-2012, 06:45 AM
That might be a good idea

Take a week and watch the tank for signs of anything wrong. If you see nothing wrong, and the fish all look healthy and happy as they always have, you likely have no diseases or anything like that in the tank.

Pleco380
05-11-2012, 06:49 AM
The fungus only appeared today. No other fish are injured that I know of. Is it likely the fungus is no longer an issue since I know it's contagious. Also, any ideas about the plants? Thanks again for the help.

Cliff
05-11-2012, 07:10 AM
My guess is the open cut got infected which was what lead to the fungus. As you water water parameters are fine you will mostly likely be alright. Keep an eye on the tank for the next while just to be safe.

Stlouisfish
05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
+1 with Cliff - I also wouldn't worry about your gravel with the corys - I have gravel (not even fine gravel) and my corys do fine in there - sometimes fish get injured and we don't know how.

ScottishFish
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I have an L022 pleco and I now need to keep him really well fed, if not whenever my cories and khulis get sinking tablets he actively attacks them. He has had a khuli loach in his mouth before. Grumpy get he is . . . still love him though :hmm3grin2orange:

Also as the others have said gravel is fine, my tank with the cories is gravel and they dont mind at all :22:

Pleco380
05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Any ideas on the holes in the plant leaves? Is it somehow related with the fish problems?

ScottishFish
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Probably your fish. I know there's some plants my fish just love chomping on :22:

Pleco380
05-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Do tetras, cories, or plecos eat plants though? I didn't think they did.

Update: No more deaths or wounds since the last death. So far, so good.

ScottishFish
05-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Cories no, but I wouldn't put it past plecos and tetras. My red eyed tetras can leave what looks like a hole punch in certain plants they like.