PDA

View Full Version : anybody else feed live crickets?

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:10 AM
anyone else feed live crickets to your fish? i tried it in my 55g, and they all love it. the killies and severum in particular. also, the bottom feeders like live cricket, mainly the skunk botia and kuhli loaches, but my tetras, mainly the bloodfins and serpaes, literally swarm the cricket like a pack of pirahnas and eat it. the crickets are 100% farm raised and disease free, so no downside!

lol, and the angels see the cricket swimming and they think about it before going to them, and mostly they are too scared

Dave66
09-05-2007, 03:18 AM
I used to, when I kept larger Cichlids. Drop a few in and WHAM!. Crickets are easy to culture yourself, if you don't mind several hundred of them singing at night. Foster & Smith has the materials for it.
If you culture the wingless mutation of fruit flies your tetras will really go berserk.

Dave

Arkie
09-05-2007, 03:20 AM
does your oscar eat them too? i was feeding mine tiger worms but their all yukky and stuff. didnt like touching them and when i was using tweezers oscar ripped them in half and that was gross

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:47 AM
lol, my oscar rips anything from my hands, pellets, anything. crickets i just plop a couple in and he snatches. he tends to eat his pellets too fast and bits fly out of his gills. hes so darn messy i end up doing a 50% water change/vacuum every second day!

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:54 AM
lol, and a bad thing about crickets is in the 55g some crickets are rebels and climb up the CO2 tube or heater and get out.

Arkie
09-05-2007, 03:57 AM
escapees??? im might get some crickets tomorrow since im driving around town and ill try them. i reckon oscar will appreciate a bit of live food..........(bert did!!!)

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:59 AM
lol, speaking of food my severum had a dumb moment a few days ago. he tore off elastic on my cabomba stems, and ate it. he swallowed it before i could get it. today, of course it came out of the other end. lol, that musta sucked for him

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:06 AM
eeewwww, and ouch!!!! that will learn him lol

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 04:42 AM
lol, at first i wondered if he would be able to digest it, and today i saw a long blue elastic below him

Arkie
09-05-2007, 04:59 AM
well im glad he's ok but i just have to add.........YUK!!!!

TowBoater
09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I feed mine crickets every now and then, mainly for my newts but my fish love it, especially my angels, they are friggin pigs!! Mine also like pan fish worms and ghost shrimp.

harvey
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
My oscars love crickets. Think about it....that is what they eat alot in the wild (insects), so it should be fine. Actually any bug I find goes in the tank..grasshoppers or crickets. Cocoa....I too have the problem with food not eaten but spit everywhere, but that is the nature of our fish.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
lol, my serpaes swarm any leftovers, and the odd one they miss the kuhlis snatch.

when i fed crickets to my old 33g tank 3 years ago the large puffers would always just shred the cricket, not eat it. lol