PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Neon Rainbows info/behaviour in community tanks

Danifins
05-08-2012, 02:44 AM
I have a 35 gallon tank currently cycling and I have been looking at stocking options.

I was looking at the different types of school fish I can get, and I've always had tetras and Harlequins so I was leaning more towards something different. I was thinking about cherry barbs when the dwarf neon rainbows at my LFS caught my eye.

I have read some fish profiles on them now and know how big they get and that they do much better in schools (obviously).

I just have a few questions for people who actually have kept them/have experience with them.

1. I know pictures rarely do *any* fish justice... how brilliant does the blue on their bodies get?
2. Are they very active swimmers?
3. Are they lower-, mid- or top-tank swimmers? Or everywhere?
4. Are they nippy?
5. Is eight enough for a decent small school? (I was planning on two smaller schools of them and one other species of something, but I'd consider upping it to like 12-15 rainbows and no other species but a centerpiece and a school of cories)
6. What centerpiece fish would would you recommened that would go peacefully with them?
7. How tightly do they school?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance!

(Edited to add question #7)
----

Oh also, my filtration is currently an Aquaclear 50, but I will be adding an Aquaclear 20 on within three weeks (before I add the first fish).

fishmommie
05-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi
I have 3 dwarf rainbows in my 30 gal community. My intent was to add more to make an actual school but I probably won't because they do not have the color I had anticipated or hoped for. Don't get me wrong. They are gorgeous fish and when the light hits them just right they are brilliant. Most of the time, however, they just look a sort of dull silver gray. Their iridescence is what brings out the color so it's kind of odd but they actually show better with the tank light off in the daylight. Go figure.
They're active swimmers - all areas of the tank, peaceful and pretty much keep to themselves except at feeding time then they mix it up with the other fish. They don't school tightly but they do tend to stick loosely together.
Perhaps the fact that I don't have a true school makes a difference in how they show their colors ...

Hope that helps

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Neons are silver and the only color on them is their red fins. I actually like them myself. The larger the school the better. You could keep an angelfish with them.

A splash of color would be those cherry barbs. More females than males but those males are bright red and add a splash of color to a tank. I prefer the cherry barbs myself. They would also go well with an angelfish.

Neon rainbowfish are really not dwarfs. That's just the size they are and are mistakenly referred to as dwarfs.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwaV8PQNqzq2MfF8qfiwa4zEGeyuBqT nmjZQt-3lXNkoTOoo4nrg

Danifins
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, guys.

I think I've decided to not go with them for now. My tall tank doesn't offer them enough length for swimming, methinks.

Lady Hobbs: Yeah I know they're not a dwarf, its just such a common misnomer that it got stuck in my head and now I can't change the title. I actually did try, but the 15 minutes in which you can edit a post has passed lol.

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
LOLOL You read that all over the net. You aren't the only one who calls them dwarfs but guess compared to other rainbows, they are.

fishmommie
05-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Interesting: the book I have (WHAT FISH - A BUYER'S GUIDE TO TROPICAL FISH) lists them as Neon (dwarf) rainbowfish. That's why I was referring to them as dwarfs.

CrazedMichael
05-20-2012, 06:16 AM
I have 5 Neon (dwarf?) Rainbows in my tank and i really like them. They are silver but with the right light they do show up some blues and yellows which is surely where the 'Neon' comes from. This as well as the red in male and yellow in female fins, these make colourful fish. I plan to buy another 10 of these when i feel it comfortable to add more.

fishmommie
05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
the longer I have my neon rainbows, the better I like them. they've grown a bit in the past couple of weeks and their color is more vivid. I think I might eventually add three more. just goes to show - things change :o)

Indian Woods Angels
05-27-2012, 02:43 AM
I enjoy rainbowfish.org as a site for rainbows. They specialize in them.

ksl0077
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Danifins,

I have 7 DNRs in my 30G community tank now. When I got my tank from someone (20g), he gave me 6 DNRs but 1 female died and other 1 got very sick in the initial days. I started taking care of them a lot. I am personally very attached them. After that I added two more high quality females and the whole chemistry has changed. my DNRs are really a treat to watch every morning. I have 4 f and 3 m. Its a moderately planted tank and I am totally new to this hobby. Its been only 3+ months now.

I have 15 tetras (neon 6, 4 cardinal, 5 black neon), 5 Serpae Tetras, 3 cories, 1 guppy, few shrimps. Its an amazing combo as they nicely occupy my 30G tank. water balance is still settling in my tank. In past 1 week, my DNR spawned about 5-6 times. I have collected few eggs and there are two tiny little fry that I put in my 10G tank now.

You need at least 6, 2 m, 4 f and you will like the everyday morning show that they put up.

I hope this helps.

Danifins
06-04-2012, 02:46 AM
@ksl0077

I haven't decided whether I will get them or not yet, but that was some good info, thank you!

@fishmommie

Great to hear about yours! They must just colour up as they get comfortable, like tetras.

So far in my tank I have 7 Bentos/White-Tipped tetras and a baby BN plec. I will not be adding anything for a couple more weeks but I am still going to consider these guys.

fishmommie
06-04-2012, 03:25 AM
what do you feed your DNR? They don't seem to like my fish flakes or frz dried blood worms, or tubi worms or algae pelets. Going to the LFS tomorrow to see what they suggest.

ksl0077
06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
After they settle down, they will happily feed on all of that you listed. In fact, frozen food is their fav. There are very active while eating, small fish kind of stay away from the center of action will DNRs are feeding. Only closest competitor in my tank are Serpea Tetras.

I hope yours start eating as well.

fishmommie
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
thanks. I've had these guys for 3 months. Only one is eating well. Today I bought some frozen shrimp brine (or something) so I'm hoping that will appeal to them. thanks so much!

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Mine didn't live very long. Not sure why. I would probably not get them again because of that. I don't expect fish to die in 5 or 6 months.

fishmommie
06-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks Lady Hobbs. Good to know. I had actually been thinking about getting 3 more but may change my mind - again. I have 3 males and 1 female. Only one of the males is really vigorous and super active and eats anything I put in the tank. The other male hasn't grown quite as big and now he's starting to get fussy with food. the female is 1/2 the size of the others and I rarely see her eat. Hoping the frozen shrimp will bring her around.

Indian Woods Angels
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Mine didn't live very long. Not sure why. I would probably not get them again because of that. I don't expect fish to die in 5 or 6 months.

Too much protein. They get a liver and kidney bacterial situation from too much fat and protein. They like their veggies a lot. Did your fish get pale and seem to get bulked up?