PDA

View Full Version : HELP! newbie w/ fin rot

direlobo
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
about 4 weeks ago, I was given a blue (w/ a little red) male betta in an small vase w/ a large plant. Although not a fish person, I recognize that the vase was a bad situation, immediately removed the slime-y plant, read & researched, asked questions @ a reputable aquarium store, then bought a 3 gal tank w/ gentle filter/bubbler, thermometer plus water conditioning & cycling additives, 3 varieties of food, & signed up for Tetra's e-minder emails about betta care.
I initially rinsed the gravel in filtered water, strained out particles & solid debris from the original water the betta came in, then used that same water in the new tank with half as much fresh filtered water that was first treated w/ a de-chlorinating and a cycling additives. Two, 4 & 6 days later I added an 1/3 more treated water to bring the tank slowly up up to 3 gals, then have continued to add the cycling additive as its label directed. My betta immediately went from nearly immobile to actively swimming all round up & down among my new soft-edged, various-sized plastic plants. The tank has been steady at around 76' and approx 10-15% new water added every other week.
When I first was given him, I notice that a small tip of one of the two long skinny front fins which I think are his pectoral or ventral fins was kinked, longer than the matching fin on his other side and white.
As advised by the aquarium store, I was just to do a my monthly 25% new, treated, water change along vacuuming the gravel, when I received a Tetra e-minder that says this white tip is fin rot! The white tip seems perhaps a little larger than before, but only a small enough increase to be really subjective...
I was told I didn't need a pH kit, but will buy one today along w/ a 7.5 gal tank since I don't have room for a 10 gal.

Recommendations? I keep learning, but not fast enough it seems...
Should I do a larger water change when I vacuum today?
Vacuum more often?
Increase the amount or frequency of the regular water change?
Should I buy a fin rot additive?
What's the best way to transition him from the 3 gal to the 7.5 gal tank?
Thank you! Thank you!

direlobo
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I messed up & the images weren't attached to my original message. The most colorful close up is from the first week I had my betta; the other close up with the circle around the fin shows the progression since then.

leaveittoweaver
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
If you do a google search for Bettas, you'll see that most Bettas have those white tips. It doesn't look abnormal to me. Unless the betta starts exhibiting other signs/symptoms then I wouldn't worry about it.

And congrats on your little friend!

ekfishlover2011
05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Yea thats not fin rot, no worries. I suggest more than a monthly 25% water change though. I suggest for optimal betta health small weekly or biweekly water changes of like 20-25% instead. Very nice betta by the way. I like him. :)

direlobo
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I couldn't find a image of a blue betta w/ a single fin w/ a longer white tip, but I'm very relieved to hear it's not fin rot.
many thanks to you both for your info.

mermaidwannabe
05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Looks like you're going all out to take good care of the little fella ... He should do just fine. Perhaps if you could google in "bettas with fin rot", you can find some pictures of what it actually looks like on bettas, then you can compare with what you're seeing on yours.

-- mermaidwannabe
:ariel:

Cyberra
05-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Pretty much all of my bettas have white-tipped ventrals. Gem has a kinked right ventral, but that's because it grew back funny after being bitten in half during a dispute with another female betta

direlobo
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I guess that's what it is. I spent about an hour yesterday after my last post looking at pix of fin rot, and nothing looked like the single white tip hanging at an angle from my betta. He's been forming a line of bubbles at one side of the tank, so I guess he's feeling all right!

thx 4 info