PDA

View Full Version : Confused on what to connect where...

cideon
05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
I just got a Tetra water pump (325) and the Tetra Submersible Flat Box Filter for my 150 goldfish pond... but I'm a little lost on the connections. As I understand, I connect the black corrugated hose to the only connection that fits on the box filter, and then that tube to another connection on the side of the pump itself (under that removable plastic thing, right? What is that for, if I can't leave it on?) using another connector bit? But then what about the hole on the top of the pump, if I'm not planning to put a fountain or anything? Is it OK to leave open? Thanks for your advice! I kinda guessed this from the videos on the Tetra website, but it only shows it with a fountain or other thing on top, so I wasn't sure.

cideon
05-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Also, I forgot to ask, does it matter for the filter pads if the green or the black is on top? Is it possible to add biomedia? If so, what do you all recommend?

Lady Hobbs
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I've never seen a filter or pump that come with 0 directions.

Picture if it helps. http://www.amazon.com/SF1-Submersible-Flat-Box-Filter/dp/B0024EFYU6

The opening on top of the pump is to attach the sprayer, I assume.

cideon
05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
It does come with directions, but there is no picture/explanation on what to do if you DON'T use a fountain or whatnot, so I don't have a "for sure" if it;s OK to leave just open.

Only black and white shot of one of the filter pads, so that is still unanswered, as is my question on adding any possible biomedia.

Cliff
05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
is the below what you are talking about

http://www.tetra-fish.com/uploadedImages/TetraPond/Pond_Products/flatboxbackground.jpg

If it is, The sponges would go just behind the plastic grate on the filter box as you also want the water to pass through you mechanical filtration first. You would remove the grate from the front of the pump and hook up the tube from the filter box to the intake of the pump just behind the grate on the front of the pump. There should be a adpator for that that fits over the impeller assembly. Your pump should have come with such a adaptor (at lest all of the ones that I have purchased did). The tube from the top of the filter is pointed up to get good surface movement of the water and adding O2. At only 325 gph, you not going to have water shooting up into the air from that pump unless you place the pump just below the surface of the water.

http://www.pondparts.com/images/categories/C1014.jpg

Edit: I fogot to mention, if there is enough room behind the sponges, you could certainly add some biomedia to it. You would just have to be carful not to restrict the flow through the filter box. It all depends on the amount of room left over.

smaug
05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Small filters such as these require cleaning as much as 3 times a week during the hot months. You will be better served just using it with the pads it has as any thing else will simply restrict flow and lead to the eventual failure of the pump from starvation. If you rinse the media in unclorinated water it will act as biomedia.