PDA

View Full Version : I think it's Hole in the Head

ScottishFish
05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I have been observing my Firemouth for the past week now, I did not want to post this before I was pretty sure. It started with what looked like one dislodged scale right on the head between the eyes, this has now persistently spread across the head, I have read up on this and have found it can be due to lack of varied diet, poor water quality, or due to hexitima?

It cannot be the diet, my tanks recieve flake, cichlid pellets, bloodworm, tubifex, brineshrimp, daphnia, courgette (zuchinni for the americans), cucumber, rotifers, krill, sinking algae wafers, sinking shrimp tablets . . . I am hyper about varied diets.

Tank has more than enough filtration and tank is well matured. I do 75-80% weekly water changes. And the occupants are a pair of kribs, 4inch pleco, cories, danios, and the firemouth, so not overstocked for a 42 gallon. My firemouth is around 3inches the now.

So what can I improve, change, or do to stop this? I would provide a picture but I havent had time to ge one due to exams. Will post one when I can. Until then here is a picture taken a month ago when he/she was healthy. Apart from this HOTH the fish iss in tip top condition.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/IMG-20120321-00364.jpg

Thanks

mommy1
05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Well if it's not poor water quality or bad diet it could very well be hex. Do you have a QT to put the fish in? This thread may help you:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=73580

ScottishFish
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the helpfull link mommy1, I unfortunately do not have a QT tank, not due to me not wanting one, I do know the extreme benefits of one, but mum and dad won't allow for a third tank, simple no

Crispy
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
is it getting picked on in any way? by the kribs maybe? stress can help it develop aswell. I would try smaller more frequent water changes. like 40% 2x per week. hope we can help this remedy itself. HITH is one of those diseases with alot of different theories, but still a big gray area when it comes to understanding it fully. diet and water quality definitely seem to be the leading causes. HITH usually happens in bigger fish when they start outgrowing their tanks. you seem to have an odd case here as far as the usual suspects for HITH go.

Stlouisfish
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Not even a cheap 5gal? I got one used - doesn't take up much space and doesn't need a stand - can be stored somewhere until needed.

I am talking about a QT here : )

ScottishFish
05-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks Crispy, I can try that out to see if it helps. I do have a pair of kribs, but they generally stay away from eachother, sometimes have a stand off which involves the firemouth flaring his gills then running away, kinda funny to watch, no harm ever comes to any of the fish though.

Andrea, I have tried countless times on trying to get one, I even bought a tank without them knowing, when they found out . . . . lets just say I sold that one on :scry:

ScottishFish
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Well I have been doing water changes every other day to try and combat this HITH, thankfully they have paid off thumbs2:

I also added some rosy barbs amd they are acting as great dither fish for the kribs to chase off. I feel having them in midwater instead of the danios in the top level has given my firemouth more confidence. So all is now well in the tank.

Thanks everyone for your help :22:

ScottishFish

mommy1
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Always good to hear about a happy turn of events, glad this all worked out.

Stlouisfish
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Yay! Glad to hear of a good outcome!

ScottishFish
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was worried about him, I will keep up the extra PWC for a while just to make sure it doesn't re-occur

Crispy
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys, I was worried about him, I will keep up the extra PWC for a while just to make sure it doesn't re-occur

good idea. glad to see you got HITH under control! thumbs2: