PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Crazy

lizzyuru
05-03-2012, 04:14 AM
I love me some Cats haha just call me the crazy cat lady (with catfish that is, though I do have 3 cats and had 13 growing up at one time). I go fishing at a small lake by my house usually 3 times a week for specifically catfish. Now I am moving soon and soon to be a first time homeowner. I am pretty much demanding a pond in my yard, and to have an indoor one if at all possible. Are there any catfish breeds that would do well in a backyard pond, or no? As a fisherwoman I know Cats get BIG like channel's can get to 30 lbs and other kinds even bigger. Also, I will be living in a pretty cold winter area (about an hour from Chicago) and know during the wintering they stay deep where the water is warmer in catfish holes (my main experiance is with Channel cats) Is there a heater that can be used on a pond to keep the fish safe during the winter since they couldnt go as deep as they would in nature? Also, not wanting Catfish so I can go fishing in my own backyard haha I just think they are lovely fish, though slimy.

Crispy
05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
if the pond is big enough, you could easily keep some species of native coldwater cats. bullheads are usually good for ponds because they don't get as large as channel and blues.

yes, heaters are used in the winter just so the pond doesn't completely freeze over. a hole in the ice still allows for gas exchange which is vital for pond fish during the cold winters. :fish: a heater is usually used in conjunction with a strong airstone.

lizzyuru
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks much, I will start planning and having fun haha